Chapter Thirty

Zakari  stared at Harry's note to him asking him if his father had killed anyone, which certainly placed him on the spot during their conversation. Leave it to Harry Potter to be incredibly blunt even in his writing. 

"N-no." Zakari answered him out loud. He wanted Harry to hear it straight from his mouth that his father was not like the other Death Eaters that people thought of when they heard the name. His father had made terrible mistakes at a young age, but from everything he confessed to his son openly, Zakari knew his father was not a murderer.

"My father is a good man." He added on.  He truly believed his own words even if he couldn't hear himself say it.  His father had served his time in Azkaban for the crimes he committed and Zakari wouldn't let anyone hold something against him. Especially since Roderick felt nothing but guilt for the things he had done and it was something that he would carry with him for a very long time, if not forever.

Harry seemed to pick up on Zakari's defensive nature over his father's name and quickly nodded his head asking no more. Feeling as though he had made the entire situation awkward, the Lestrange boy picked up Duncan in his arms and left the area.

Social interaction was not his strong suit, he could admit that, but he had a feeling it would be so much easier if he wasn't embarrassed so easily by himself. Looking down at Duncan, he realized that his family and Franklin were the only ones that he could comfortable communicate with, limiting his interaction with his peers. He could communicate pretty well with Eve and Jeanie, but it wasn't enough.

He wanted to talk to other people, but not too many would be willing to learn sign language for the sake of just talking to one boy. One boy who was incredibly awkward to begin with.  

With a heavy sigh, he placed Duncan down to walk beside him to head back to the dorm and hide beneath his covers for the rest of the day. 

Arriving back to the Slytherin common room, he was stopped by Draco Malfoy and his friends, who blocked him from venturing to the boy's dorm.

Duncan growled at the boys, warning them to keep their distance because the corgi had no problem biting anyone who offended his master. However, the boys made no sudden movements to Zakari, confusing the child completely. Instead, they decided to use his deafness against him, by talking directly at him.

At the rate that their mouths were moving, there was no way he could even try to keep up to lip read. He frowned taking a few steps back, but they continued talking, the smiles on their faces growing bigger and bigger. They could bully him without him hearing a word of it which made Zakari upset.

However, the boy was not about to give them the satisfaction of crying in front of them. He thought of his father and mother. His mother had showed a very scary side when she was angry, especially with anyone that had said something about him as a child. His father was strong as well, he had to be to have the strength to stand up against Voldemort and the others, including his family to do what was right in the end. 

Knowing how strong his parents were when it came to facing hardships, Zakari was done with cowering and crying. If Draco and his friends wanted to be bullies, he wanted to show them that no good came with being nasty towards others. 

Unsure what to do exactly, he looked back up to see Draco still going with it, however, he had moved much closer to Zakari, making him quite uncomfortable as he tried to back up. But he ended up tripping over Duncan, causing the dog to yelp out as he fell to the floor with a thud. 

The three boys laughed and pointed at him, trying to bring other students to join in the laughter. Seeing the fingers pointed at him, sparked something deep within in Zakari. All his life he remembered people pointing at him, especially other children. Anger surged through him, remembering all the children that had rejected him from playing all because he was different.

Lifting his hand up to reach for the chair nearest him to help himself, he watched in shock as the chair flew away from him and knocked right into Draco. Quickly, he dropped his hand as the other Slytherins around them looked on in surprise and some of them looked fearful as Zakari had been able to perform magic without his wand.

Picking himself up slowly, the students around him quickly moved away from him as he brushed his robes off. Draco was bleeding partially on the side of his face where the chair had hit him, normally Zakari would have felt bad, but in that moment, he didn't feel an ounce of regret. 

Just to test things out, he lift his hand rapidly causing the other students to flinch and gasp, moving away from him. 

A small smile appeared on his face as he motioned for Duncan to follow him. He walked towards the direction of the boy's dorm where Crabbe and Goyle were still standing. As he stood in front of them, the two older boys parted quickly allowing him through.

Examining his hands once more in happiness that he had actually done something, Zakari happily skipped off to his dorm room to write to his parents and let them know what had occurred.

 He would just word it a little differently.