Chapter Twenty Nine

As odd as it was, after the most recent attack, it seemed the chaos died down and the school atmosphere calmed down quite a bit. Zakari finally felt like he could relax and actually focus more on his school work, rather than defending Harry's name or worrying about another student being attacked. During his time studying, the boy was accomplishing great feats all on his own. During the late nights, Zakari would remain awake in the common room with Duncan at his side, studying ways to develop his non-verbal magic. 

Fingerspelling was effective but not to where Zakari wanted or needed to be. His fellow classmates were able to perform the basic spells taught in Charms and Transfiguration, leaving the boy falling behind with his practicals. He could write all day on the subjects but it wouldn't do him any good if he couldn't perform properly. Developing his own signs in the common room, Zakari had come up with his own version of incantation, just by using his hands. He wasn't able to do much, but he had mastered the art of levitating objects. 

He just had to be fast with his hands and he had to be precise, if he did it wrong, he had experienced it plenty of times when the spell backfired on him.  But he was thrilled just to be performing actual magic. He wrote home to his parents informing them of the good news and how Franklin was slowly helping it develop it. By the time he saw them again, he was hoping to show them what he had learned. However, he quickly remembered he wasn't allowed to perform magic outside of school. They were just going to have to take his word for it. 

His parents had good news of their own as they confirmed that soon enough Zakari would be welcoming a little brother or sister to his family. The boy was thrilled at the idea of becoming a big brother and he knew his parents were pretty excited as well. As he did every year, Zakari made a Valentine's Day card for his mother.

Since he was much younger, Zakari had taken it upon himself to be his mother's Valentine as she always appeared rather lonely on the day where couples were everywhere. Before Hogwarts , she and Zakari would go out for a nice dinner and he would present her with a lovely card that he handmade for her. He was happy to know that year while he wasn't home that his mother was going to be just fine.

In the recent days, the only thing Zakari had come to worry about was Draco Malfoy. The bright blonde hair boy that seemed to have the need to glare in Zakari's direction any chance he could. Zakari was unaware that the boy's dislike towards him originated from two areas, the fact that Zakari was friendly with Harry Potter and the possibility that Draco's parents had warned him about who the boy's father was. Roderick had nothing nice to say about Lucius Malfoy. He wasn't skilled at lip reading, but Zakari was certainly able to gather some of things his father had to say about the other former Death Eater.

His mother had plenty to say too, words exited her mouth that Zakari had never witnessed before. He had not been aware of his mother's colorful vocabulary until they discussed the Malfoy family. Unfortunately, the child learned too that through connections of marriages and bloodline, that he and Draco were related.

But they certainly didn't act like family towards each other.

Draco didn't dare do anything, let alone approach Zakari. Normally because the boy had his corgi, and Duncan did not tolerate any form of bullying that came towards his owner.  Any sort of negative attention that was directed towards Zakari was met with sharp, bared teeth and plenty of growling. Not to mention, the child also had Frankling, Jeanie and Eve around him during most part of the days. It only left a small time frame for Draco to try anything but it wouldn't go over well.

Dirty looks and snarky remarks was the only thing the fellow Slytherin could lash out.

Zakari didn't care though, one person disliking him was not the end of the world in his head. 

After History of Magic let out with Professor Binn, Zakari sat in the library making a card for his parents. Duncan was sitting in a chair beside him, grooming his ears. He was finishing up and decided to meet up with Franklin as they agreed to meet at the Entrance Hall. He gathered his things, hoping to avoid the dwarfs dressed up as cupids running around the corridors that had been unleashed by Professor Lockhart for some unknown reason.

Duncan growled at a passing winged dwarf causing the little creature to squeak and scurry on.

Zakari thought he was in the clear until he saw Harry at the end of the corridor, stuck with one of the dwarfs who was singing to him.  Judging by the look on Harry's face, Zakari was thankful in that moment that he couldn't hear the creature singing.

He frowned as he watched Harry struggling to escape the dwarf, which eventually led to the boy tripping and falling hard to the floor. Zakari flinched with a grimace clear on his face as he walked over to assist him. However, it got a little too crazed for his liking as Harry's school belongings had spilled out onto the floor. Draco and Ginny who were nearby for some reason took interest in the situation, Draco decided to lunge for one of Harry's books while Ginny looked beyond disturbed.

Duncan left his owner's side momentarily and ran over as fast as he could, barking and snarling at Draco. Harry was able to retrieve his book while stunning Draco back with his wand.  One of the prefects, Percy Weasley did not look thrilled with the situation as he scolded Harry.

Zakari stomped his foot in place, annoyed that Harry was getting in trouble again for no fault of his own. However, the red head quickly backed up as Duncan lunged at him as well, trying to create space for Harry.

Harry looked up surprised as he brushed his robes up. He noted Duncan's presence and then looked in Zakari's direction.

Lifting up his hand, the awkward Slytherin boy gave the Gryffindor a small wave. Harry flashed him a smile before reaching down and patting Duncan on the head. The dog panted happily before sending one last huff in Draco and Percy's direction.