Chapter Eleven

Once the meal was over, Zakari was supposed to walk with the prefects back to the dorms in order to be shown everything in his new living area. However, he seemed nervous that Franklin wasn't going with him. Zakari was going to have to learn how to manage being on his own without his aid beside him every second of his time at Hogwarts. Franklin told him not to worry and first thing in the morning he would be able to see him in the Great Hall during breakfast. Luckily for the boy, Eve told the interpreter that she would watch over Zakari until he had to head up to the boy's dorm. Puzzled as to how the girl was going to communicate with him, the boy seemed doubtful but didn't argue as he left the Great Hall following Eve out.

The Slytherin Common Room was located in the dungeons, which was slightly off putting to Zakari as he picked up Duncan into his arms as they braced the cold corridor. He hadn't even noticed that Eve was attempting to point things out to him. When he turned, he could see that her lips were moving slowly, however, he was still not all that familiar with lip reading, leaving him to receive mixed messages.

"The Potions Mister is Protector Snap." He read from her lips before furrowing his eyebrows in confusion.

When they arrived to the entrance to the common room, Zakari learned it was hidden behind a stone wall, he also realized by watching the prefect that he needed a password to get in. Panic rose in his chest unsure of how it was going to work for him if he couldn't say the word properly to gain access. However, his worry subsided for a short time as he entered the common room and took in his new home.

The place was dark and dimly lit with the exception of several green shaded lamps that were resting near several tables and chairs. There were black and dark green sofas resting in the center of the room that appeared to look quite comfortable to the boy. Upon the walls, he was able to observe that tapestries that hung with depictions of Medieval Slytherins on them.

While it was nice to look at, Zakari still felt quite cold in the room. Now he understood as to why his mother insisted that if he wanted to be in Slytherin that he had to pack extra blankets and socks.

The prefect spoke to the other first year students, Zakari was distracted by movement to his left. Making his wave over towards the windows, he could see something moving about. He realized that the part of the common room was under water. Delight filled in his expression as he stood before the windows trying to catch a glimpse of any of the aquatic creatures of the lake. 

Once he was pulled away from his distraction by Eve, she pointed in the direction of the boy's dorm and tried to sign that it was time for bed. He nodded his head before smiling at her attempt at sign language. He waved at her before Duncan led the way through the path that would lead to the beds. Duncan picked up on the scent of Zakari's trunk and followed it until he came upon it resting at the end of a bed.

Zakari could only assume that it was his bed as he sat down and looked at his dorm mates that stole looks in his direction.

He smiled in their directions and while they didn't give him any looks they didn't interact if much at all with him before turning back to their own business.

It was frustrating to Zakari that without Franklin by his side it was like he didn't have his voice. He knew he could talk but his speech wasn't all that shaped nicely and he didn't want to give the other children any more reasons to make fun of him.

Little did he know that the majority of the students wouldn't dare make fun of him, because while Zakari didn't know anything about his father, there were many that did.

Before Franklin decided to return to his small flat in Hogsmeade, he wanted to have a word with Dumbledore after spending the entire evening hearing all about the Crow. He was sure that the children weren't calling Zakari the crow, but he had no idea what the significance of the word was among the students.

He approached the Headmaster before the Entrance Hall.

"Did you enjoy the ceremony?" Dumbledore asked him with a kind smile.

"I certainly did. Reminded me of my time here. However, I couldn't help but notice a couple of things through the ceremony, Sir."

Dumbledore remained quiet allowing the man to continue on.

"First of all, it would be wise to warn me so that I may warn Zakari of anyone trying to communicate with Zakari via his mind. He heard the voice of the Sorting Hat and it really upset him due to the fact that he didn't want that to be the first voice he heard. He wanted to hear his mother's voice first. Fortunately, he seems to have settled down from it, but I really do ask that there are no more surprises such as that. It's not fair to the boy."

"I will be sure to keep you informed, Mr. Roman. Is there something else?"

"Yes. There was plenty of talk at the Slytherin table and one word was continued to throw around when they looked at Zakari. They kept saying Crow, what does that mean outside of the animal?"

Dumbledore began walking, inviting Franklin to follow him.

"I'm sure you've noticed that Mr. Ollivander's father is not in the picture." he began.

"Yes, but no one seems to want to mention why."

"It is a very sensitive subject especially to those that loved him."

"The man isn't dead is he?"

"Some may believe that death would be less cruel than to where he is."

Franklin thought for a moment. 'You mean...Azkaban?"

Dumbledore nodded. 'Yes."

The interpreter's eyes widened in disbelief as he looked at the headmaster. "Why is he in Azkaban?"

"He was...the Crow."

"I'm afraid I don't understand what you're talking about, Professor."

"It is understandable, not many know of the Crow-"

"Plenty of those in Slytherin seem to do." Franklin pointed out.

"That is due to the affiliation with their parents. Adults talk, children listen and then children talk and other  children listen."

"I'm confused, Sir. What does this mean? Zakari's father is a crow?"

"Yes."

"And how did that work creating a child?"

"I would prefer to have this discussion in my office, Mr. Roman."

Liz returned home after an exhausting shift, hoping to find a letter from Zakari waiting for her when she arrived. However, it was not the case and she knew that she shouldn't have expected a letter so soon. However,she was certainly curious to hear what house Zakari had been sorted into and if he was getting along alright. Removing her shoes, she glanced around. She was used to the home being quiet, but normally Zakari came out to greet her once she arrived.

With a heavy sigh, she sat down in a chair and closed her eyes knowing she would be asleep in a matter of minutes with how exhausted she felt. She was just drifting off when she was startled awake by a noise. Her eyes opened wide as she sat up straight in the chair. Leaning forward she looked in the direction of the window and gasped loudly.