Chapter 5

She has ignored me all day. She didn't even look at me when I tried to talk to her. She just looked down at her hands and played with the cuffs of her sleeves. She does that when she's nervous or angry.

The bell rings and she starts grabbing her things. I grab my things slower so that i would be able to stay and talk to her.

"Listen, Elena, i know you don't want to talk to me but please... please hear me out," i say

She still ignores me. And starts to walk towards the door. I grab her shoulder and spin her around.

"Elena. Im sorry. I've wanted to tell you for weeks but i ju-"

"WEEKS? You've known that you were going to be moving for weeks and you BARELY tell me!" She says cutting me off.

"I didn't know how to tell you!" I reply with my voice slowly raising.

"When are you moving?!" She says

"Nextweekthursday," i reply fast

"When?" She asks again

I sigh and look down.

"I-I leave... I leave next week Thursday," i reply with tears brimming my eyes.

"WHAT!" She shouts and I stay silent.

"So that's it. You leave and i stay here with people who don't even care for me. You know, when I would talk about Prom and graduation to you, you could've brought it up then instead of having me go on and on about it," she says as tears fall from her eyes.

I walk up to her and hug her. She didn't hug back until she finally dipped her face into my neck and cried. I could feel my sweater getting soaked by her tears. But I didn't mind. I pull her closer and just let it all out. My tears were now soaking her sweater.

I don't want to leave. I don't want to leave Elena. I never did. But I have to move. My Aunt May's job is transferring her to New York. We'll be far from Chicago. Far from Elena.

"Im sorry. I don't wanna leave. I really don't , but I have to," i say still holding her close.

"What am i gonna do without you Pete?" She whispers. I just stay silent and hold her close. I then move away from the hug and wipe my tears away.Elena grabs her sleeve and wipes away her tears and sniffles.

"You know what we're gonna do? We're gonna make the best out of the time we have together until the day I leave. Okay?" I say holding one of her hands.

She nods and we head to our lockers to grab our things to leave. We walk out of the school and head to the park.

~~~~~~

"Hey do you still have that teddy bear i gave you when we first met?" I laugh as we sit on the swings.

"Yeah. It's in my closet on the top shelf," she replies.

"Are you serious!? You still have it after all these years!" I laugh surprised that she still had it.

She nods and continues to swing back and forth.

"Do you remember when we hated each other for, what, a minute?!" She laughs.

I nodded. You see, when were were about 10 we and an argument over what ice cream flavor was the best. I said chocolate and she said pistachio. We just kept arguing. Finally we decided to not be friends anymore and then a minute later we apologized to each other and  became friends again. It was a weird day.