Chapter 30

Kari's POV:

Bryce, along with most the other badly injured wolves are at the pack doctors house being treated. We had a total of seven deaths and over 20 casualties. Luckily for us, we won the war. Most the bodies that lie on the battle field belong to the rogues.

I'm sitting next to Bryce in a doctor room. He's sleeping at the moment so I just hold his hand and enjoy his presence around me. I'm so thankful that he's still alive right now. I was so worried that I not only lost my best friend but my other half as well.

My thoughts linger to Macy. She was gone before I could even touch her. Why did she do that for me? I know we are close friends and I'm her Luna, but I didn't see anyone else running to save my life. Now she's gone forever...

"Kari!" I hear a voice yell, snapping me out of my thoughts. I stand up and turn toward the door. Jamie stops in front of the door and lets out a few quick breathes.

"What's going on Jamie?" I say. he looks at me with worried eyes.

"It's Ashley, I found her in Evie's room. She passed out and Evie's still unconscious. Neither of them will wake up." He says.

What? Evie just woke up she can't be unconscious again, and what about Ashley? I run out the door and sprint to the pack house. Something's wrong.

I feel Jamie's presence right behind me and we make our way to Evie's room. When I get there I stop. There's someone in the room with them. I sniff the air and a familiar scent fills my nose. I let out a little growl as I step into the room.

"Trent." I say. "What are you doing in here?" I walk into the room. I see him staring down at Evie.

"I'm sorry Kari. I didn't know this was going to happen." Confusion fills my brain.

"What do you mean you're sorry Trent? What happened?" I say in an aggravated tone. I walk over to where he is and look down at Evie. She seems normal, she's just sleeping.

"Her only conditions for giving me the spell to use against Froam was to bring her back to the pack with me. I had no idea why she wanted to come, and when I reached the battlefield she wasn't following me anymore. This is why." Her? What is he talking about?

"Trent I don't know who you're talking about or even what this person did." Trent looks at me with sad eyes.

"I'm talking about Gloria, the witch that aided us in beating Froam. She gave me a spell that stopped him from being able to teleport. I didn't realize that Evelyn would pay the price for being able to defeat him." I look at Evie with worried eyes. I slowly place my hand on her heart.

"But it's beating Trent." I say with relief and let out a sigh. "She's alive, I don't get it. What did she do?" I ask and glance at Trent.

He reaches down to Evie and grabs a chunk of her hair. To my surprise, it isn't her normal beautiful brown color. Instead it's white. Why does a huge chunk of her hair look like it was completely bleached white? I look at Trent.

"She took Evie's ability to change." He says.

-------------

A lot has happened since Gloria and the battle. Evie and Ashley woke up a few hours after their run in with that witch. I haven't mustered up the courage yet to tell Evie what has been taken away from her. I will tell her in a few years, or when she asks me why a chunk of her hair is white underneath.

Ashley and Evie were merely under a sleep spell that kept them asleep for a couple of hours, other than that they are completely fine. Bryce is doing a lot better. His wound is completely healed and he is walking around like he was never injured.

I'm on my way now to a meeting that Bryce put together. He wants to thank the pack for everything they have done, and he wants to address the names of those lost in our battle. Sadness fills me as I think once again about my friend who gave her life for me.

I walk into the meeting room and make my way to my seat on the stage. Bryce is already up there and he is pacing around nervously. I walk up to him and grab his hands.

"Bryce it's okay, you have lead meetings many times before. There's no need to be nervous." He gently squeezes my hands.

"I know but this time is different. This meeting is to represent how thankful I am to have all of them here and to mourn over those we have lost... Especially Macy." He says. Tears begin to form in his eyes and I reach up and hug him. "She was a sister to me Kari, I grew up with her."

"I know... I loved her too Bryce." I say and stand there and embrace him for a couple of minutes.

The door opens and I slowly release him from my hug. I turn and see some of the pack members start to pile into the room. I look back at Bryce. "You can do this, I will be here the whole time, okay?"

He gives me a gentle smile and leans down to kiss my forehead. I smile lightly back at him and make my way to my seat.

In a few minutes all the seats in the room are filled and Bryce stands on the podium and addresses the pack.

"Thank you all for coming to this meeting. I wanted to make it clear how thankful I am to run a pack as amazing as you. You always give me your all and we are one giant family. With that being said, there have been a few tragedies that have occurred regarding the last war. I would like to take a moment to recognize the names of the loved ones who gave their life for our pack. To show out love, our very own Mila Stewart put together a slide show of the memories of the loved ones who have passed. Please sit quietly and watch."

The lights in the room turn off and a screen slowly descends from the ceiling. A projector lights up the room and shines onto the screen. Sad music plays then the video begins. Seven faces of loved ones appear on the screen one after the other. Not one person in the room will leave this meeting with a dry eye. Mimi was able to capture moments of each pack member that gave everyone a mixture of happiness and sadness.

When the video ends the lights come back on. Bryce steps back onto the podium and says, "Thank you all for taking your time to come to this meeting. Before we go, there is one last announcement I have. As we all know, our loved Beta was one of the unfortunate wolves to lose her life. Our pack cannot go on without a Beta. On that note, would Jamie please stand up." Jamie stands up from his seat and looks at Bryce curiously. "Jamie Helder. Our new Beta."

The whole room claps and I see all our friends smile at Jamie lovingly. Especially Ashley. I can see the proudness shine in her eyes.

After that Bryce dismissed everyone and soon it is only Bryce, Jamie, Ashley and I left in the room.

"Bryce, I know things must be hard on you right now, are you sure you want me as Beta?" Jamie asked Bryce.

Bryce smiles at him, "Of course. You would have been my first choice before hand but Macy was always there for me as a kid and I wanted her to know how special she was." Bryce says and looks down sadly. I grab his hand and give him a reassuring squeeze.

Jamie places a hand on Bryce's shoulder. "I'll do everything I can to help you out Bryce. Thank you." he says.

Jamie grabs Ashley's hand and leads her out of the room. As soon as they are gone I turn to Bryce.

"I'm proud of you." I say. He looks at me confused.

"Why are you proud of me?" I smile and reach up to kiss him on the lips.

"Because you will forever be the best Alpha in the world. I'm glad you're here with me right now." He smirks and pulls me into a hug. I rest my head on his chest.

"I love you Bryce." I say lightly.

I feel his embrace tighten around me and he says, "I will always love you Kari Brewer."