Chapter 3

Kari's POV:

I ended up eating lunch with everyone that I met at gym. Well everyone except Laine, she disappeared after I beat her in that race. She's probably just angry, honestly why wouldn't she be? I would be too if I never lost before and then the new kid came in and beat me.

I'm on my way to bio right after lunch when Trent comes up from behind me, "Are you heading to bio?" He asks me.

I nod my head and say, "Yup, why are you in that class?" I ask him back as we approach the biology lab room.

"Yeah, you should sit with me at my lab table." He says. We walk in through the door.

"Sure that sounds good." I say. He leads me to his table and we sit down. "So what is it exactly that you do in this class?"

He laughs then says, "Nothing. We literally sit here and talk the whole time. Mr. Hanford rarely gives work."

I smile, good that means I'm only going to be doing work in English for the rest of the year. We continue to make small talk for the rest of the class. Turns out Trent and I have a lot in common, and he's a really nice guy. The bell rings, and just like that the school day is over! Time flies. We stand and I walk to head toward the door.

"Wait Kari," Trent calls and runs after me, "Would you be willing to go out with me this weekend, like to dinner or something?"

Go out? Like a date? Seriously? I had no idea someone so hot would want to go on a date with me. Well I mean I guess I need to get out of the apartment to do something other than work, but what about Evie?

"Oh I don't know Trent..." I say and look down at my hands. I've never been on a date before, it makes me nervous.

"Come on Kari, it will be fun. I can take you to a nice restaurant or something." he says with a friendly smile. I can't help but smile back at him.

"Okay, I guess it could be fun." I say teasingly and roll my eyes. "How about six on Saturday? I know it's early but I need to be able to pick my little sister up from her babysitter by 10." I ramble.

"No problem, that works perfectly." He says. We continue to walk out the door, I start to head toward the bus section and he is walking toward the parking lot. "Where are you going Kari?" He asks curiously.

"I don't have a car so I have to take a bus" I answer him. I turn and head toward my bus.

"Come on, I will drive you home." He says.

I turn and look at him shocked. He literally just met me today, and now he is going to drive me home? He's so nice! Well I mean we are going on a date Saturday so I guess it's okay...

"Thanks so much Trent." I say with a smile and follow him to his car. When we reach the parking lot, it is filled with cars and kids everywhere. We get to a blue Mustang that is surrounded by my new friends.

"Kari!" Mimi screeches. She runs toward me and embraces me in a hug. I laugh and hug her back.

"Hey Mimi, it's good to see you too!" She lets go of me and grabs my hand. Then she drags me to the rest of the group, pulling me away from Trent.

"I didn't know you drive Kari! Which car is yours?" Macy asks me. I blush slightly and look down.

"Well I don't drive, I took the bus this morning, but Trent offered to drive me home so I couldn't deny him..." I say. I hear a small growl and look up. Not sure what direction it came from. Everyone is just looking at me with wide eyes. Okay, maybe I didn't hear a growl... Why are they looking at me like that? I raise an eyebrow and say, "What?"