Chapter 27

NOTE: In case you get confused during this chapter....please refer back to the prophecy because I strove to follow it as closely as possible. See if you can figure it out (: it shouldn't be too hard, though. 

The next few days passed by in a blur for Birdpaw. After the mock Gathering, the three clans had agreed to remain at Iceclan's camp in preparation for the battle with the Rogues. Each day, warriors and apprentices were kept busy patrolling, hunting, and rebuilding Iceclan's ravaged camp. The leaders were rarely seen -- it was assumed that they were preoccupied with discussing battle plans.

Birdpaw herself was incredibly busy, too. When she was not out hunting, she was training with Blacktail or helping Hazelpaw out with gathering herbs. In fact, sometimes she was so wrapped up in her work that she would forget to eat or rest. However, Birdpaw did not pay too much notice; there was always work to be done, and Blaze's last words always reminded her that Greenfur could be here any day. Thus, there was not a moment's worth of time to waste.

She had not talked to Falconclaw very much since the last night she saw Blaze. Part of it was because there was simply no need: every cat was focused on preparing for the upcoming final battle. However, Birdpaw still could not shake off the awful feeling that her being busy was just a lousy excuse. 

As Birdpaw casually surveyed the camp in search of her next task, it became apparent to her just how drastically every cat's life had been changed by the Rogues' emergence. On the first day that the three clans merged together, it was clear that cats were still wary of those who did not belong to their clan. There was a bit of distrust which led to arguments, which the deputies tried their hardest to resolve peacefully. However, Birdpaw felt her heart well up with pride and warmth as she saw these very same cats now helping one another as if they had been clanmates since the beginning of time. She saw Fernpelt nursing orphaned Iceclan kits as if they were her own, while taking care of an expecting Fireclan queen. She saw her father working tirelessly to organize patrols and rebuilding efforts, and was glad to see that he seemed respected, even among Fireclan and Iceclan warriors. 

Birdpaw spotted Falconclaw from across the camp. He seemed to be deep in conversation with a brown she-cat from another clan. The two seemed happy; Birdpaw thought she even saw the she-cat swipe a paw at Falconclaw playfully. 

The brown tabby she-cat instantly felt annoyed by this action. Before she knew it, she had strode halfway across the clearing, directly towards them. 

Falconclaw seemed to notice that something was off as soon as he saw Birdpaw approaching. Breaking off his conversation, he padded over to greet her. "Hey," he meowed casually, "How are you?" 

"I'm doing absolutely fine, thank you for asking." Birdpaw snapped. She did not even know why she was angry. Falconclaw had done nothing wrong -- there was no harm in taking a break from his duties. And, there was definitely no harm in making friends from other clans. What was wrong with her?

 The tabby warrior took a step back in surprise. "Featherpelt mentioned that you seemed stressed lately. Is something wrong?"  

"Something wrong? We are all working our tails off and you are over here relaxing like a lazy kittypet, and you ask me what's wrong?" The insult came flying out of her mouth before she even realized what she had said. 

Birdpaw almost winced when she saw hurt flash across Falconclaw's amber eyes. She instantly felt overwhelmed with guilt. What was she doing? "Sorry," Birdpaw muttered, regretting all of this. She felt her pelt prickle with shame, but was at a loss as to how to fix this mess that she made.

Falconclaw was silent for a few heartbeats, and it seemed as if he were trying to figure out something. However, before he had the chance to reply, a screech caused them both to jump.