Chapter 8

*Unedited

~~

Sigh. -_- i have a ton to do right now. this chapter will be SUPER short, and I'm really sorry. Maybe I'll update once winter break starts....

It's been two moons since the first meeting with Blaze. Birdpaw followed through with their meetings, and as each half moon went by, they got closer and closer. He was her best friend outside the clan. In the clan, she had no one. Silverclaw was the deputy, so he had other responsibilities to take care of. Birdpaw understood that. She also knew that since the clan was short on warriors, every cat had double the duties, so Featherpelt and her couldn't talk often either. Blacktail insisted on training her until dusk every day, and she was very tired from all the work. Also, she could only see Goldpaw and Hazelpaw at Gatherings, and Goldpaw was mooning after Brackentail most of the time. Birdpaw sighed. She wished that all her friends wouldn't be so distant. That she could have more company. That her father and Featherpelt would talk with her more often. Birdpaw knew she was being selfish...but loneliness was just too much! The only cat she ever saw frequently was Falconwing, and that's only because he had patrols with her.

"Why can't my friends be in my patrols, or hunt with me instead of Falconwing?" Birdpaw complained to herself as she stood up from where she was eating. Originally, Featherpelt was going to share tongues with her, but she had an extra border patrol to go to, so that was cancelled. She jumped a bit when another cat approached her, and focused her eyes in to see who it was.

Oh. Him. Birdpaw resisted the urge to roll her eyes. She and Falconwing bickered over everything, from whose prey was the biggest to whose tail was longer. He usually won, much to her annoyance. However, she did like the way that throwing her anger out at him relieved some of her moods and stress.

"Hey," he meowed.

"Hi." she nodded her head curtly.

He sighed. "Look. I've got something to say to you."

Birdpaw could guess what he wanted to tell her. She felt the same way too...as much as she didn't want to admit it. "Yeah?"

"Uhh....umm..." he stammered, unsure of what to say now. Obviously he was surprised at her listening to him.

Birdpaw cocked her head, blinking. "Go on," she coaxed.

"Fine. Umm..."

"Wait."

"What?" he asked.

She took a deep breath, then admitted, "I've got something to tell you too."

"You go first," he flicked his tail.

"Well...." she cast a glance at the ground. "How about we say it together?"

"Sure....I guess."

"Okay. One....two...three!" she counted off.

"Look. Let's just be friends, okay? Our bickering is pointless." he blurted out.

Birdpaw nodded slowly. "Yeah. Sure."

Falconwing took a small step back, amber eyes wide. "Really?"

"Yeah." was her reply. "I've always thought that the two of us arguing over whose tail was longer was kind of ridiculous."

He purred in amusement, and she soon joined him, both thinking back at their stupid, pointless, hilarious disagreements. Then, as their voices faded, each lapsed into their own thoughts, silent.

Falconwing broke the silence first. "Hey. Remember when I said that your eyes were too small, and that it was strange that you could even see out of them?" he inquired, a strange gleam in his eyes.

"...Yes?" Birdpaw responded cautiously, squinting. What was he thinking up now?

"I think it's true." Then, his whiskers twitched, trying to stifle a mrrow of laughter.

She aimed a cuff at his head, but her eyes shown no sign of anger. Maybe she underestimated him....because here she was, play-fighting and teasing the very cat she wanted to strangle before right now. But he was right. They were clanmates, and clanmates shouldn't be snarling at each others' throats all day long. Friends would be a better outcome, she decided.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I said. XD This was shorter than I planned. Hope you liked it...hehe. Drama's gonna come along soon ;)

Oh well. Don't worry about my irregular updates, because I love this story and world too much to abandon it. Stay with me here~! I'm glad you've supported me so far. <3 ya all! ~cinna