Ch. 10

Leo

My mom always used to bounce me on her knee while she worked on small projects that required her to sit for once.

I still remember the vibrations of her throat against my forehead as she hummed nursery rhymes and muttered instructions to herself. I remember playing with the loose strap of her coveralls leisurely, my eyes fluttering closed as she rubbed her thumb against my cheek and rocked me softly.

I would kill anyone to have that back.

Anyone, of course, but Annabeth.

The air around me wavered like heat off of asphalt as I took in deep breaths. My fingers grasped at nothing, their joints moving as if through water. A slowness that should never have belonged to my hyper hands.

The fogginess of my mind pressed down on me like a hundred bricks as I tried to pull myself from it's depths. I was dimly aware of my wrists stinging, something cold pressing into them like needles, and a pressure at my back.

My throat burned and my eyes wouldn't open, but shapes danced in and out of my vision. I felt the most eerie feeling of numbness.

I wasn't sure if I was in heaven or hell.

Voices dragged my attention back to my surroundings, and I heard dark laughter as footsteps approached. I felt like I was listening from under water, everything warbling and becoming distorted through my haze.

"Here..." I heard one voice say, very close to me. Someone grabbed my upper arms and I felt them lift my limp body up.

An outraged yell pierced through my stupor, but whatever it had said was lost in the fury.

"Feisty..." A man's voice said, and I heard a slight scuffle. I tried to make my thoughts connect, to make some sense of what was happening, but my brain wouldn't work correctly.

Whoever that had been holding me up grabbed my chin and jerked my head up so fast I thought they'd snap my neck.

I felt my strength slowly come back, and my eyelids fluttered quickly. I could feel my feet now, and ached to move them so that my ankles weren't in a weird position anymore like they were. But, I knew that I shouldn't. Hopefully they wouldn't know I was awake, whoever they were.

But I opened my eyes ever so slightly and saw two blurs of yellow against the darkness.

Before I could piece together what was happening, I heard someone exclaim something from behind me.

Something collided with the back of my head and I tipped forward into darkness.