Chapter 11 (Rewritten)

Start from the beginning

"What?!" I never thought I'd hear Gavin say that. He's always told me to avoid the police at all costs, no matter what.

"The faster they're off your case, the further they are away from mine. The faster you clear this mess up, the faster you can come back to work."

*Arabella*

I wake up later than usual. My mind was swimming with thoughts after the conversation my mom and I had last night. It was well after 2:00 by the time I fell asleep. I get out of bed and head downstairs to grab some breakfast. John sits on the living room floor playing with his toys. He barely looks my way as he rams a car into the side of the couch and mimics an explosion noise, followed by someone's tiny scream.

I leave him to play in his imaginary world as I slip into the kitchen. I see Dad sitting in his office as he works diligently at his desk. Mom stands at the kitchen sink washing the dishes from this morning's breakfast. Waffles or pancakes by the faint aroma of syrup.

"Good morning." I say as I grab a plate from the cabinet.

"Good morning sweetie." Mom replies. "You slept in late today. You feeling okay?"

"Yeah, I just had a little trouble going to sleep last night is all."

"Ah." She replies, with a small nod. "Still thinking things over?"

"There's nothing to think over. Derek and I are friends, I think, and nothing more. Tonight I'm going out with Brad and it's going to be great."

"Alright." She shrugs. "I'm not going to get involved. I've given my advice. Do with it what you want." She cleans the last dish and places it on the drying rack before heading into the living room with John.

My mom may think she understands Derek and Brad because she thinks all teenage boys are the same. But Derek isn't like other teenage boys. He's complicated, mysterious, and dangerous. The only thing he has in common with people our age is going to parties, drinking, and probably having one-night stands. A serious relationship seems like the last thing he'd ever want.

I agree to play with John for a while and manage to get some schoolwork finished before having to get ready for my date. I shower before searching through my closet for something to wear. I don't even know where we're going. Should I dress up? Dress casual? Maybe something in between? What if I come off as trying too hard? Is everyone's first date this stressful?

I wonder if I should call Jess. She'd drop everything to rush over and dress me if it meant she could choose my outfit. However, anything Jess chooses will be uncomfortable and over the top. I'll have to tackle this one on my own.

I pull out a pair of blue jeans and a pink camisole. I pair it with a pair of white sneakers to be comfortable and an off-white cardigan in case I get cold. I brush through my hair, leaving it in its natural waves, and apply light makeup. I look myself over in the mirror and give a small smile at my comfortable yet appropriate outfit. It may not be something Jess would pick out, but it's still acceptable and most importantly, it's me.

I have some extra time before Brad arrives, so I take the time to call Jess to hopefully help get rid of some of the nerves.

"Hey love!" She answers. "Ready for your date? What are you going to wear? How are you doing your makeup? Do you need me to come over and help?"

"No, I'm already dressed and ready. I'm just nervous and have a little time before he gets here."

"Send me a picture. I want to see what you picked out." I snap a quick picture and send it to her. "You're so cute!" She exclaims. "I can't believe you're going on your first date. I feel like I should be there to take tons of pictures. My Ari is finally coming out of her shell! I'm happy for you."