The Battle: Chapter Two

When Professor Milo agrees to take on mentoring Princess Elsa, he had only thought about the high honour and prestige of the task. Unfortunately, teaching Princess Elsa created an unexpected problem. He did not anticipate an unending flow of antagonistic questions and a stubbornness to fight for her views on history. The Princess was not like his former pupils. He wasn't sure if he was grateful for the challenge or grateful that he was on first-name basis with the apothecary, who provided excellent medicines for his increasingly frequent headaches.  

"Princess," he groaned, rubbing his temples with one hand and holding his willow branch in another. "You are misunderstanding. There are reasons for these battles, reflected in the chosen strategy..."

Pacing back and forth, he found his momentum again. "Battles serve a purpose most of the time. When a strong-held belief is challenged or attacked, a battle is seen as a way of defending and increasing the faith in that belief. How strongly that belief is held determines how hard we fight and what strategy to take."

Elsa sat on the edge of her seat, her brow furrowed, contemplating the meaning behind the words. Not necessarily agreeing, but at least paying attention. "Professor that's what I don't understand. If you're in a battle with someone, don't you want to win? Wouldn't you fight to win, regardless of what has been challenged?"

"Yes, you want to win, but sometimes you act more reserved or cautious. Winning is important, but you still need to protect your kingdom, your people, and your integrity. Some of the older battle strategies focused on an individual's bravery, baiting the other side into one-on-one combat. this often turned into self-sacrifice or ambushes, and the technique was abandoned. Today, we fight in groups."

Both their heads turned when a third voice entered their conversation.

"Interesting strategies, yes. Those are involved in leading a kingdom as well. Thank you, Professor Milo." The king walked into the room and motioned for his steward to close the door behind them. 

It was true that he interfered with her lessons, though he frequently listened at the door for a moment or two. Elsa and Professor Milo shared a look of surprise.

Sweeping his crimson velvet robe behind him, he walked over to the window and pushed the drapery open. The soft breeze rustled through his hair and his warm sunshine snuck into the room. 

Professor Milo's face reddened with embarrassment. Princess Elsa sat still, her arms folded onto her desk, hiding the sketches that had kept her busy for most of her lessons.

"Such a beautiful day, isn't it, Professor?" King Agnarr asked mischievously.

Professor Milo nodded in agreement stammering and adjusting his wand. Nervous tension built in his stomach and sweat beaded on his temples.

King Agnarr turned his head to look up at the teacher with a smile, still holding onto the window sill. "Professor, why don't you enjoy the sunshine today? I will continue Elsa's studies this afternoon."

Neither the professor nor Princess Elsa knew what to say, but Elsa didn't wait for more instructions. As confusion and relief washed over the professor's face, Elsa glowed. Closing her notes quickly, making sure her drawings were still covered, she stood up and walked to her father's side.

"Ready?" The king asked, holding his arm out.

They left the room quietly, leaving Professor Milo scratching his forehead.

Her skin tingled in the sunlight. They walked from the centre of the castle across the courtyard to a tower that stretched to the sky. Elsa stole a quick look over her shoulder and smiled at Jack. He stood by the wishing fountain, helping organise and direct the long line of farmers and villagers who were here to see the king. She watched him laugh and handsome dropped juggling balls to an entertainer. She chuckled as the balls escaped Jack's hands and fell into the fountain. He beamed as his eyes found hers. Her father pulled her arm forward, twisting her head around.