I

Gideon | Carys

Gideon | Carys

Is this the number of the infamous 'Cupid's Arrow'?

The who?

Oh. Sorry. My bad. I must have got the wrong number.

Nah nah nah. I'm just messing with you. Cupid's Arrow at your service.

Let me rephrase this. Is this number really going to give me feasible information on how to improve my love life?

You've heard of me, which means you're either friends with someone I have worked my magic on or you're just that desperate to look back 20 issues of the school newsletter to find my number.

I thought you were going to be some girl who was serious and boring, but you're actually... funny.

Wow. I'm blushing.

Shut up.

What a way to woo a girl. Why would you even need any help getting one?

I'm going to stop texting if you reply to my texts with one more sarcastic comment.

Okay. You're the one who's missing out. It's not like I'm getting paid to do this, so apart from you and I losing credit on our phones, I really have nothing to lose, but you on the other hand...

... I hate the fact that you're right.

But I, on the other hand, love the fact that I'm right.

Are you normally this insufferable? Logan never told me about your personality.

Ohhhh. You're tight with Logan? He's my favourite person. And to answer your question, no. I'm normally not this sarcastic but you insulted me and my advice. How can you expect me to be nice and courteous to you when it is clear you're doing the opposite?

Yeah. I'm "tight" with Logan. He's my best friend.

Does this mean you're Gideon Payne? Or do we have the wrong Logan in mind?

Yes. I am Gideon.

What?! Why do you even need my help? You literally have every girl falling at your feet.

But not the right girl.

Well okay then. Who is this girl you're so hung up on?

Lydia Pickett.

Red hair? Honey eyes? Super smart and sporty?

That's the one.

Oh. Isn't she with Nicklaus?

Maybe. Maybe not. What does it matter? Just do your magic.

You sound like an asshole. I don't want to put her through the pain I'm going through of talking to you.

I can't believe Logan is with Kelly thanks to you. You seem like the last person who would help anyone.

I am the last person who would help a guy who wants to break up a happy couple because he's a thirsty guy with needs that are impossible to obtain.

I am not thirsty. I'm used to getting what I want.

Well I'm not, which might be half the problem. You can't just expect everything to go your way simply because you want it to. The world doesn't work like that.

Your world must be malfunctioning.

You're the sole malfunction in my world.

Aw. Isn't that sweet? If only you were Lydia Pickett.

What if I was?

Then your gorgeous appearance makes up for that attitude of yours.

You're so materialistic. Now I know why Lydia doesn't want you and neither do I.

Oh please. This is all just an act. You want me. Everyone does... Right?

Not Lydia.

That's a sore spot. She doesn't count. Not yet anyway.

She's in love with Niklaus. Can you just let it go? Ask me for help with anyone but taken girls and I'm the person you should run to.

But that's what makes it fun. Isn't it entertaining to try and get something or someone you know you can't have?

I know that feeling all too well.

• • • •

chapter header by rebellionofhope