Chapter Eight - Let's Play Darts

Start from the beginning

The back of this building was attached to the one behind it. I jumped down onto its roof and ran along the side of it. Woo, score. This building was wider than the one I was just standing on, so the gap between it and the adjacent one was smaller. I backed up, took a running leap off the edge and held my breath. Landing in a crouch, I sprung up to standing and jogged to the other side of the roof. This gap was a little farther, but do-able. I looked over my shoulder hearing the commotion back on the first roof. It sounded like a door slammed against a wall.

I backed up and ran as hard as I could and pushed off the roof with everything I had. My toes hit the ledge of the adjacent building. I swung my arms forward and landed on my hands and knees. Wasting no time, I got up, jogged over to the metal ladder attached to the side of the building, and climbed down.

I needed to back to the tavern. I rounded the corner out of the alley and ran right into one of the largest guy I've ever seen.

"Jaxon." He grabbed me and slammed the side of my head into the brick wall.

My ears were ringing, and my sight blurred. "And you are—?" I ran flames up and down my body, trying to burn him off of me.

He laughed and water flowed over his arms. "That little trick isn't going to work on me." An icy bite of cold pushed at my flames.

" An icy bite of cold pushed at my flames

Just my luck—a water circle giant. I clenched my hands behind the guy's neck drew my knee up into his stomach hard. I dropped my hands when he took a step back, and I threw my elbow across his cheek.

His eyes went a chilling blue. "I might have to kill you myself, you little piss-ant." Blood trickled from his nose. "Forget the others." His wiped the blood across shirt sleeve.

God if he throws my head into the wall one more time, he might just succeed. His movements were clumsy and unskilled. When he took a step, the ground shook. I faked a kick to his right leg. When he reacted, I pivoted and extended a roundhouse kick on the same side of his face I hit with my elbow.

He growled and lunged at me. "You're dead, fire boy."

I dodged out of his reach. "Ahh, but then you'll never get off this god forsaken planet now will you."

His lips curled. "Got news for you, I'm a lifer. I'm never getting off Racine. So killing you would only make me legend around here." He had both arms spread out like nothing was going to get past him.

Amateur. I turned and swiped my leg at his front foot but missed. When my foot touched the ground, I picked it up again and threw a back kick in his face. I followed the move up with a round of flames that singed his eyebrows. His friends hollered in the distance. They were getting closer. I turned to dash the other direction and felt a vine loop around me.

"Oh no you don't," the forest mage yelled.

I ignited my entire body in flames, and the rope burned away. "That's what you think."