•8•

Chapter eight:

After that trip, I refused to talk to Daryl. Half my hair was missing from that close call. And a bandage wrapped over my head.

I had nightmares. Worse than usual. I woke up drenched in sweat, waking everyone with shrill screams of fear.

It was the fifth day after that run, I was sitting outside in the sun. Hugging my knees and staring blankly at the pile of corpses.

"You okay?" Carl came from behind, sitting beside me.

"No. But nothing I can't handle." My shoulders shook as I took a deep breath. But a tear trailed down my cheek. Showing that I, was indeed, not okay.

"Tell me. What happened?" He knew what happened, from Daryl. But he wanted to hear my side.

"He left me. He just..." A sob broke out, making me try to stifle it. "He's my brother and he left me to the mercy of corpses."

Carl said nothing, he just held me tightly. And that was all I needed.

"I'm gonna take a walk. Alone. I just need to clear my head." I told Carl. He looked at me sceptically as I pulled out my gun, but nodded.

"Just... Be careful okay?" He looked at me pleadingly.

"Of course. You too."

And I opened the gates, walked out and disappeared into the trees.

And I had no intention of going back.