"Ok, now listen up," Mai said in a commanding tone, "especially you, Yugi. You got beat, but that doesn't mean it's the end of the world. When I got beat, I thought it was all over for me too, but then Yugi stepped in and saved my star chips. And now I'm returning the favor." She held out a fist, opening it to reveal star chips. They were extras she had won so that she could pay Yugi back. "Now go on, Yugi. You know I owe you, so take them."

Yugi stared past Mai, not really looking at anything. Not feeling anything anymore.

"Earth to Yugi, star chips at 12 o'clock."

"Go ahead and take Mai's star chips, Yugi," Joey said kindly. "Then we can all head up to the castle together."

"What, are my star chips not good enough for you?"

Yugi remained silent. I bit my lip, knowing there was nothing anyone could say to get him to take them.

Mai clenched her fist around the star chips and pulled it back. "Fine, then I'll keep them. And your friends can wipe your nose all the way back to the nursery. Grow up! Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose."

"This isn't about losing!" I said, though I knew my words would be in vain. "Something else is going on here. You don't understand."

"Oh, I understand. Your friend lost one lousy duel, and now he's too chicken to play again. Isn't that right? How pathetic."

"No!" I grit my teeth in frustration, which evaporated as I gazed at Yugi's face. "He's in shock. I – I can't sense his emotions anymore. We can't reach him because his own emotions can't reach him. He's shut everything out." This was something I had only experienced once before – myself after my parents were killed. I wrapped my arm around his waist to hold him closer to me. "I understand what he should be feeling. I feel it to."

"Your feelings won't solve anything," Mai said harshly, causing me to widen my eyes. "You can emphasize with him all you want, but at the end of the day, if all you're going to do is sulk with him, what good does it accomplish? You need to motivate him to act. Pull him out of this." Her eyes fell on Yugi. "Alright, chicken boy, duel me for the star chips. Now."

I cast my gaze to the ground as shame filled me. Mai was right. I was useless. All I was doing was sharing Yugi's pain. I couldn't take it away or do anything to help him. My grandmother would know what to do. Even my mother would have been of some help. Why was neither of them here to guide me now?

"I'll duel you!" Tea suddenly exclaimed. I felt anger and defensiveness coming from her. "That's right. I'll duel you right here, right now for Yugi." She pulled out her deck from her pant pocket. I did not know she played. "You and me. Right here, right now. Yugi needs those star chips, and I'm going to win them for him."

"Come on, be serious," said Mai. "An amateur like you wouldn't stand a chance against me."

"Would so!"

"Hun, it's sweet, you standing up for Yugi and all, but sweet doesn't win duels. Now I'll ask you one last time: are you sure you want to duel me?"

Tea was afraid, but she responded with confidence. "Yes. I am."

Mai turned and led us down the stairs. Bakura and I linked arms with Yugi to help him since his spirit still seemed to be away from his body. We found a dueling arena at the base of the hill, and Mai and Tea immediately each took a side.

I was not sure how this was going to help Yugi. He still would not accept the star chips even if Tea won them for him. Unless she was counting on their friendship to get him back into gear.