Chapter 13

Chapter 13

I found it difficult to return to normal life despite my best attempts. The subjects taught at school appeared too boring following the exciting events of the past couple of days. I hoped it would become easier to pay attention as the days passed. I normally enjoyed learning, so perhaps I just needed time to decompress.

I shot up from my seat as soon as we were free to leave. "Do you want to head over to my house or yours?" I asked Bakura like I did most days. The sooner we could get back to our normal routine the better.

Bakura did not meet my eyes as he stood up. "Actually, I think I need some time alone with my family today. After everything that happened, you know..." He finally offered me an awkward smile.

I blinked. "Oh. Okay. That's fine."

"I'll see you tomorrow then."

My eyes followed him as he left the room. Over the years I had known him, he had become great at concealing his emotions from me, which was no small feat. I told myself that, if he was mad at me or something, I would sense something. As it was, I decided to give him some space. Duelist Kingdom must have been harder on him since he had been more of an observer and victim than actor.

"Samia, if you want, you can come hang out with us at my grandpa's shop," Yugi said from his desk where he, Tea, Tristan, and Joey were gathered.

I hesitated. "I don't know..."

Before I could finish, Joey slung an arm over my shoulder, causing me to flinch. "Come on, what are you afraid of?" he said, giving me a wink. "We don't bite."

"Yugi's place is fun," Tea added.

I allowed a small smile to form on my face. I sensed their sincerity, and it was greatly appreciated. "Okay. Thanks, Yugi."I quickly grabbed my belongings and then followed my new friends out the door.

The Kame Game Shop was much more inviting in the daytime than it was at night. We were greeted enthusiastically by Yugi's grandpa, who had thankfully made a full recovery after having his soul sucked out of his body from Pegasus. I admired the various board and card games that lined the walls in the store while Joey attempted to improve his Duel Monsters card collection.

I did not realize it had started raining until the doors of the shop slammed open, blowing drops of water in my direction. The distress of the individual struck me first, and I spun around to face a soaking wet Mokuba Kaiba.

"What's wrong?" I exclaimed, his terror sending my heart racing.

"Please, please help me," Mokuba whimpered as he leaned against the door for support.

"Mokuba," Yugi said in shock.

I rushed to the kid's side and helped support him on his feet. Mr. Motou nodded at me, so I helped him inside the house attached to the store. What could be wrong now? Both of the Kaiba brothers had just been rescued. They last thing any of us needed was more trouble.

"Give him this," Mr. Motou said, handing his grandson a large blanket. "I'll make him some tea to warm him up."

I led Mokuba to a simple brown couch and sat him in the middle next to me. Yugi set the blanket around him and took the seat on his other side. Tea sat on a small couch while Joey and Tristan looked on in worry. Once Mr. Motou set tea in front of him, Mokuba began his story.