29

September 2027

(Alex is 13, Jackson is 12, River is 11, and Hunter and Dakota are 10)

"Back to school!" I scream, opening the doors to the kids bedrooms with a wave of my hand.

"No!" Alex groans and pulls his blankets over his head.

He's never been one for enjoying people.

He's a lot like me.

"Come on, babe." I pick him up. "Your clothes are set out on the floor and there are hash browns downstairs." I say, attempting to cheer him up. "And me and dad aren't even dropping you off. It'll be Kol, and he drives such a cool car."

"He drives a Range Rover."

"Don't you want to be the coolest kid in the seventh grade?"

"I don't care what people think of me, ma. I just want to sleep."

"I feel that. We can nap later, okay? Just you and me." I kiss his cheek and leave the room to let him get dressed.

Twenty minutes later, Rebekah's doing River's hair while River eats breakfast, and I'm putting Dakota's hair in two french braids.

"Five minutes until we have to leave, babe." Nik reminds me for the millionth time today.

Nik, Elijah and I all have to go to a meeting in New York today, because my "long awaited" book is in the publishing process. After the two years where I published one book after the other, I decided that I needed a break, because I had a lot of years to cover, and a not so subtle way of saying 'fuck you' to the Nik in the book. The book takes place from 1922 to 1993, so I had a good chunk of a century to cover, which was not an easy task, especially since I decided to adopt five kids and then write a book. So I have to have a meeting with my editors and the whole team, because we have to think about book covers and what the tagline for promoting is going to be and stuff, so this is going to be a big meeting. And I couldn't leave my man behind again, so this time he gets to come along and get to put his own two cents in because he might not have big role in this book, but he's got a big role in my life now!

"Alright, we'll see you in four days." I kiss each of the kids foreheads. "Have a good first day at school. I expect to talk to all of you on the phone later. I love you all." I say, and eave the room before I start to cry.

This will be the first time that both Nik and I go away from the kids since we adopted Hunter and Dakota. Sure we went to get each of the kids, but that doesn't count really, because we were going away on "vacation". We weren't actually vacationing though, it was me stressing out about whether or not each of the kids would want to be adopted by us, and then when they did actually want to get adopted by us, that weight was lifted off my shoulders with a pint of blood and a shared bottle of bourbon between Nik and I. Romantic, I know.

"You'll be fine, love." Nik kisses my forehead, meeting me by the door, our bags in one of his hands.

"I just don't want them to die."

"If they do, they just get the Vincent treatment." He shrugs. "Whenever we're away they get a little blood in their food." He says and I nod, only semi-assured. "Seriously, Vi, they won't die. It's four days, and Kol, Bekah, Hayley and Freya are all here. And Freya is the most powerful witch, like, ever. So we have nothing to worry about. If anything, she brings them back to life like when she did that for you." He kisses me. "You have nothing to worry about."

"We're the most famous vampires on the planet. We have five kids and you have six. They all have a target on their back. What if someone decides to start a war?"

"Then they started it with the wrong family." Elijah says, walking up to us. "Now if you'll stop stressing we have several meetings and a flight to attend."

dont forget to read the spinoff book of this!! its called san francisco and its on my profile!! im really excited for it and just want people to read it man