Fourteen

"That was him!" Calum yelled, jumping to his feet with eyes burning bright. Despite Luke's attempts to verbally hold him back, the boy ran off and was out of sight in a mere matter of seconds.

Luke, now finding himself with very limited choices, followed after, trying to get his attention with whisper-yells. "Calum, psst, Calum. Come back! You can't just take off like that, someone might recognise you!"

He received no response, and as Luke turned around the corner and onto what he immediately realised was a crowded, main road, cursed to himself. "Too late."

Flashing lights and wailing sirens were all he could see or here. Police cars had blocked off each end of the street, and a line of officers were now moving in to circle Calum. Luke managed to stay back and watch with eyes filled of fear, but Calum was dead in the middle with no place to hide.

"Get to the ground! Now!" An officer with a megaphone ordered, stepping towards Calum. "Hands behind your head!"

All Calum could do was drop to his knees, causing a few of the more nervous looking officers to relax considerably. If he wasn't being held at gunpoint and about to be arrested, again, he probably would've laughed. There's he was, in the same pair of sweatpants he'd been wearing the night of the murder, dirty and tired.

He had to find something about his life slightly humorous, didn't he?

The same officer that had spoken moments before pulled out a pair of handcuffs from his pocket, walking calmly over to Calum. When the boy on the ground realised what was about to happen he panicked, his natural instincts taking over, and noticed a small gap in the circle of officers. He made his break.

Luke sprung to action right there and then, using his invisibility to shove, kick and confuse some members of the police force. They became so distracted that little to no attention was being directed at Calum, who was now safely out of the way and looking for a place to hide.

"Suspect is on the loose!" One yelled, heading over to where Calum was still running. He was worn down by days of little sleep or rest, so the officer had no trouble with catching up to him. Calum didn't realise how much trouble he was in until the man grabbed his shirt from the back, yanking him backwards and pulling his hands together.

His wrists weren't fully healed from the first time he'd been put in handcuffs, and his broken hand was still wrapped in messy bandages. So, when the officer moved in to fasten his wrists together, to say that Calum freaked out was an understatement.

Without so much as a seconds thought, he turned around and with a crack, his white knuckles met the man's jaw. The officer cried out and stumbled back, clutching his face, and Calum just ran.

Luke hadn't moved and still had the gun tucked into the waistband of his jeans, but he knew he couldn't fire it. These guys were just trying to do their jobs, and besides, he needed all the bullets for someone else. That left him with nothing but his intellect and bare hands, and even those combined weren't likely to do much damage.

So, when the entire force left where they were gathered to back up the officer up ahead, who was now cursing loudly, Luke hadn't little time nor ability to stop them.

And then he had a crazy idea.

The doors to the police cars had been left open, that obviously being the least of their priorities, and Luke used that to his advantage. He slid into the drivers seat of the front car, thankful that the key had been left in the ignition - although he would've been fine with taking it from someone's pocket.

Luke was seventeen yet had never seen any reason to learn to drive, and it was only now that he started to regret that decision. But, at the end of the day, what harm could it do? He was already dead; recklessness was now his greatest ally.

He gripped the wheel as though his life depended on it, and stamped down on the accelerator with every ounce of strength he could muster up. The car shot forward, crashing straight into a lamppost which put a huge dent in the bonnet.

It would've have scared him half to death (if he wasn't already dead) but the screams of terror suddenly emerging from the mouths of the officers and a few bystanders made him grin wildly in triumph.

What was more frightening than a car driving itself?

Apparently, not much. Even the men running at Calum stopped and turned around to try and find the source of the hysteria, although more concerned at the idea that someone might be stealing their car than the fact that there wasn't anyone in the drivers seat.

Calum, however knew what was happening almost instantly. Partly because he could see Luke, but mostly because there was nothing that surprised him anymore, so a ghost crashing a police car to distract the officers from arresting him was pretty much an everyday thing now.

Luke pulled away from the lamppost, trying his best to figure out what all of the different gears and pedals meant but eventually just deciding to head straight. The road was fairly straight and many had fled their cars upon noticing that there was some kind of a disturbance in the middle of the street, so he had just enough space to go speeding between the two lanes.

Several people threw themselves out of the way to avoid getting hit, but others weren't so lucky. He didn't feel particularly guilty though, they'd chosen to stick around and witness someone else's pain so the deserved it. He hadn't deserved to die, maybe they did.

Calum hid behind a block of flats with his hood back up over his face, watching the scene unfold. He winced at every thump of body against the metal of the car, but didn't move. Luke was protecting him, doing it because of him, so he felt insanely guilty that people were getting hurt.

But at the same time, Luke cared. He hadn't left him yet, and he had a feeling that he wouldn't for a long, long time.

Nothing felt better than that.

~~~~~~~

A/n: I wouldn't blame any of y'all for giving up on this story because I know I haven't exactly been good with updates lately and half my chapters are fillers

I started college two weeks ago and I'm also doing an extra subject to most people, so work is really weighing me down and I'm sorry that wattpad can't be my first priority

Anyway I hope you understand my slow updates, and I hope this slightly-more-dramatic-than-usual chapter was okay :) xx