Prologue

Luke's screams of torment were enough to awaken anyone from their slumber. They drowned out the blaring of car alarms and sirens in the distance, those emergencies incomparable to the one unfolding on the street below Calum's house.

Trouble wasn't a common occurrence in the suburbs, the residents valued law and order above all else and crime was in no way permitted. So when the tanned boy jerked awake at 3 in the morning, having heard the distinct sound of a gunshot outside his window, he knew that something was very wrong.

His bare feet buried themselves into the creme carpet and he took small, hesitant steps towards the door. Had Calum been thinking, he might have first thought to check the scene outside of his bedroom window before heading downstairs.

But that was the thing, he wasn't thinking at all. Calum's reaction seemed to be instinctive, slightly rash perhaps but entirely uncontrollable. The electrics being faulty, dim lights lined the ceiling above the staircase and emitted a constant buzzing sound, providing him with the means to reach the ground floor unnoticed.

Despite the shot and the screams, no one else seemed to be awake. Calum slipped out the front door and into the street, every other house in his line of sight engulfed by an unnerving silence. Everything felt wrong, and he wrapped his arms around his torso for both warmth and reassurance.

Then he saw a lifeless body strewn across the pavement.

A middle-aged man stumbled away from the incident, clutching onto a large bottle of vodka and allowing the gun to fall to the pavement. Calum considered yelling or perhaps even chasing after him, but before he even considered it an option the criminal was gone. The only evidence that something had occured was the used weapon, likely patterned with fingerprints, and the victim.

Calum broke into a run, collapsing besides the body and rolling it over to get a good look at the poor soul's face. His heart sank, realising it was a young boy, probably his age if not a year or two younger. His blond hair stuck to the damp pavement, lips slightly parted and eyes shut.

It was dark, but the injury was obvious. Calum fumbled to find a pulse when he saw the shot wound in the boy's chest, soaking his light grey shirt with warm blood. He'd never felt uneasy at the sight, but it was so different at this distance.

"Please don't be dead," he muttered to himself, frantically looking up and down the road and cursing that no one else was aware what was happening. However much he had liked the peace at first, if anyone found him now then he was bound to be considered the only possible culprit of an unplanned, midnight attack.

Face now dripping with sweat despite the cold night air against his skin, Calum climbed shakily to his feet and took a step away from the body.

The boy was dead. He'd been murdered, and Calum was the only witness.

That was if he wasn't deemed insane for denying his involvement, when he was the only person with opportunity. His fingers were stained with blood, and his fingerprints on the body served as proof he had been at the scene. It was too late to leave, should he call the police so they could investigate and find the drunken man?

The circumstances soon began to change, however, and Calum shivered at the sudden gust of wind that brushed against his shoulder. Then he became aware of soft whimpering beside him, yet he was still alone.

Suddenly fearing for his own safety, Calum began to silently return to his house, but was stopped in his tracks by a voice. It was unfamilar but certainly that of a young person's, and he willed himself not to pass out or vomit.

"I'm dead?"

~~~~~~~

A/n: yes, Luke is dead lmao this is gonna be fun. The whole idea of this is from the film Ghost which was like 1990 I think? It's a really good film even though it's quite old now, this won't be anything like it but yeah you should watch it

First chapter will be up soon, thank you xx