Eleven

Luke knocked on the door in various places, before sighing. "Yeah, there's definitely a room behind here. I can get through and unlock it from the other side, then you can come through."

"Be careful," Calum smiled weakly, "he might be in there."

"If he was in there, don't you think he would've already heard us?"

"Maybe he's hiding or something," Calum shrugged, not totally comfortable with the plan. He felt so much more uneasy with everything now, rules were being broken and he couldn't explain it. Not that there were really any rules to the supernatural.

"I'm a ghost, remember? How many times do I have to keep reminding you? I don't have to be careful, no one can see me."

But Calum wasn't sure anymore - maybe he wasn't the only one who was starting to see Luke? He didn't know, and he certainly didn't want Luke to know that it was a possibility.

"See you on the other side," Luke laughed, and Calum just rolled his eyes in response. By this point, he was a little tired of Luke finding his own jokes amusing but simply chose not to say; the boy was dead, it wouldn't do much harm.

Then, silence.

Calum hovered hesitantly outside the door, keeping his full attention on it in case Luke did get into trouble. He may not be able to do anything, as he certainly didn't have the strength to break it down or fight a man double his size if it came to it, but he felt it right to prepare himself.

He was starting to get a little nervous that maybe something had happened, when he heard an unlocking sound and the door swung open with a small creak. Calum could almost picture the grin of pride plastered onto Luke's face. "Told you I'd be fine."

"I can see," Calum laughed, but the sound quickly faded and his smile fell to a frown. "I mean, I can't actually see, because you're a ghost and I can't see ghosts."

"It's fine, I know what you mean."

Calum couldn't help but allow a sigh of relief to escape his lips, stepping foot inside of the room that had previously been locked.

What he found did surprise him - an old, stained mattress pushed up against the far wall, where the paint was fading. Used cups and food packaging covered the rest of the floor, creating an awful smell that forced Calum to leave the room very shortly after entering.

"Are you sure this is his hideout?"
Calum frowned, not even attempting to cover up the doubt in his voice. "The man who works for a criminal gang and killed a 17 year old?"

"I guess so."

"Do you still want to kill him? I mean, he's not exactly living," Calum shrugged. He thought that leaving the man would be the better option - and definitely the easiest. Killing him would only be putting him out of his misery, by the looks of things. What kind of revenge is that?

Luke laughed. "When did I say I wanted to kill him?"

"Then," Calum paused, allowing the corners of his lips to fall into a small frown. "What do you plan on doing when you find him?"

"Nah, you were right. I'm gonna kill him."

Calum didn't know what to say after that, and he wasn't sure he needed to say anything. It wasn't like he could change Luke's mind about it, and he certainly wasn't surprised - it seemed kind of fair.

Maybe, it was why Luke was still there. His anchor. Mission. Why he hadn't crossed over some invisible bridge or however the after life works, if there even was one. Calum hoped there was, for Luke's sake. He'd get his revenge and then he'd be free, and live out eternity in paradise like he deserved.

Or would he go to hell? Luke was going to kill someone, wasn't that the worst crime someone could commit? The taking of a life? But the man wasn't innocent, so how did that work?

Did heaven and hell even exist? Who decides which one you go to? Calum had never been religious and didn't believe there was a God, but maybe he'd been wrong. Maybe he'd been wrong about everything.

A month ago, Calum didn't even think ghosts were real. He would've laughed in whoever's face tried to tell him otherwise. Vampires and werewolves didn't exist, so why would ghosts? Yep, definitely wrong.

"What do we do now?" Calum asked in a voice little louder than a whisper.

"I don't know, wait for him to come back? It's unlikely he'd be able to defend himself against a surprise attack. And I have an advantage, since he can't see me."

Calum stepped back inside the room, studying every detail of it as closely as possible before the stench made his eyes water. "No, I don't think he's coming back. I refuse to believe that he owns nothing, he must've packed them up and moved elsewhere or something."

"Okay, genius. I apologise for not being able to work that out by looking at a freaking room."

"Please don't be like that," Calum sighed, heading out the front of the church. "You know I'm only trying to help, isn't that what you want?"

But Luke just grunted, the sound serving as enough of a response to hint that he didn't feel like talking. Calum supposed he was disappointed that he hadn't achieved what he was hoping to, but in all honesty, he wasn't sure. He didn't want to ask, though.

So they returned in the rough direction that they had come from, not really knowing why. They didn't have anywhere to go, nor anyone they could trust - what were they supposed to do?

There's no need to be scared, he remembered his mother telling him once. You have me, you'll always have me.

But where was she now he needed her? Calum had seen the disappointment on her face as he'd been driven away in the police car. The disgust. The shame. Her son, the boy who couldn't talk until he five and wet the bed almost every night until he was eight, a murderer.

She never doubted his conviction, and that was the worst part. The scene kept replaying itself in his head like a film reel, and he felt sick to his stomach every time. His mother, the person who was supposed to keep him safe, had failed at just that.

True colours always show in the dark.

But that brought up another question - what were his true colours? And when would they show?

~~~~~~~

A/n: if y'all want some more cake (who doesn't) you should go check out ninjaturtlehood 's books, especially her new one called texts because it's amazing af and she won't believe me (it's amazing you banana)

Basically her stories are better than mine so go read them

That's all :) thanks xx