Wattpad Original
There are 6 more free parts

2. Familiar Intruders

CHAPTER TWO – FAMILIAR INTRUDERS

Seventeen years later

"Aunt, I'm afraid we have used up all of the baking flour," Rosalie said closing the door of the pantry before returning to the kitchen.

With her hands wrapped in cloth, the middle aged woman bent down and retrieved the loaf of bread from the hot stove "Never mind my dear. I'll have to get up early tomorrow morning and buy some more at the market," She turned and saw Rosalie picking her nails at the kitchen table, "Come on Rose, help your dear old Aunt."

Rosalie jumped up from her seat and hurried over to the work station, "Sorry Aunt Iris, I was lost in my thoughts once again," she said tucking a strand of curly blonde hair behind her ear.

"Oh and what thoughts are they?" Iris pressed, raising a challenging eyebrow at Rose.

Rose picked up a knife and slowly started to cut the bread into slices, "Well you see I visited the village this afternoon to buy some more fabric like you asked me to and there was a group of men in strange uniforms that I'd never seen before."

"Oh, are you sure they weren't the King's men sweetheart?" Iris asked taking the knife from Rosalie and quickly finished slicing the bread.

"No, their uniform was red and yellow I'm sure of it," Rosalie said shaking her head.

The jar of homemade plum jam Iris had just got out of a cupboard slipped from her grasp and smashed onto the floor.

"Oh no, Aunt are you okay?" Rose bent down to start picking up the broken shards of glass but before she could Iris held onto her arms and pulled her back up, "Rose are you certain their uniform was red and yellow?"

The paleness of her Aunt's face worried Rosalie as she nodded her head in agreement, "Yes, red and yellow."

"This is bad," Iris said standing up straight.

"I don't understand, Aunt am I in trouble?" Rose whispered.

Her Aunt suddenly grabbed her upper arms and forced her down onto a chair, "Listen carefully Rose, did any of them see you?"

"You're scaring me," Rose whimpered softly.

"Answer me Rose, did they see you?" Her Aunt replied, desperation in her eyes.

"Yes."

Her Aunt froze above her, her hands gripped onto Rose's dress.

"One of the men looked over at me and frowned."

"It's started, they're coming." Iris let go of Rose and rushed out of the kitchen.

"Aunt, I don't understand, who is coming?" Rose said following her Aunt into her bedroom.

Iris reached under the bed and pulled out a bag whilst muttering to herself, "How did they find us? I was so careful, no one knows."

"Rose you must listen carefully to me" she said as she rushed around the room packing blankets and clothes into the bag, "There are bad people after us. Do you remember the story I told you when you were a child?"

Rose nodded her head, "Yes, the one about the lost princess."

"It's true, the version I told you is true. No matter what anyone else says or adds to the story you must remember the story I told you."

"I don't get what this has to do with the men in the coloured uniforms." Rose asked bewildered.

"I have something they want," was all her Aunt said as she passed Rose and went back into the kitchen.

A sudden knock on the wooden front door made them both jump. Iris turned to Rose and handed her the bag, "I have kept to my promise for as long as I could my Queen, I'm so sorry," she whispered with closed eyes.

"Aunt?" Rose said, her hands trembling as she took the bag.

"As soon as I say run, you run Rose. Get as far away from here as possible, you are not safe. Remember the story and it will all make sense one day I promise. I love you so much darling."

The door flew open and swung off its hinges.

Behind it a large man strode into the room holding a large sword. Behind him followed several more men each with in identical uniform, the brutal Spanish soldiers.

"Well hello there Iris," One man spoke and strode to the front of the group, "I have a little surprise for you." From behind him he reached into a brown bag and pulled out a severed head dripping with blood.

A blood curdling scream left Iris' throat and she cried for her dead husband, Uncle Brandon.

Rose stayed still behind the kitchen table, unable to move. She had watched her Uncle leave for work just this morning whistling an old village tune and now his head was all that was left of him.

Her stomach churned and flipped at the sight in front of her.

"Now then Iris, what shall we do to you? The same things we did to her mother so many years ago?" the men behind him laughed mercilessly.

"What do you know of my mother?" Rosalie said firmly stepping forwards.

The only details Rose had heard about her mother was that she had the same blonde hair and green eyes. Iris had told her of how brave her mother was and how much courage she had but refused to say anything more.

The men looked at each other and chuckled, "Well, sweetheart, I know that she screamed pretty loud and what the colour of her insides look like." He smirked down at Rose who cowered back in fright.

"And tonight we are all going to find out the same about you by having a little bit of fun."

"Run Rosalie!" Iris screamed, as she launched herself at one of the men causing him fall to the ground.

"After her!"

Rosalie had grabbed her bag and had run straight out of the back door. She hiked up the long dress she was wearing and forced her legs to move faster.

Disruption could be heard from the house as she flung herself over the stone wall at the edge of their land.

"Oh pretty little Rose!" a voice called behind her, she peered over her shoulder slightly and caught sight of one of the men holding Iris' head whilst another held his sword.

One swing was all it took and Iris' limp body collapsed onto the floor in a heap. Her severed head was being held up by the brunette hair Rose had braided on many occasions by a man who grinned wickedly at her, "You're next Princess!"

Tears fell from her eyes as she forced her body forwards. Loud, echoing voices could be heard from behind her so she quickened her pace.

With only herself for company, Rosalie made her way through the large woods that neighbour the village until night fell around her. The voices had faded hours ago but she had continued to run. She had no idea where she was heading but she wanted to create enough distance between them and her.

The aching in her head and feet started to grow too painful and she collapsed onto the forest floor. It didn't take long for exhaustion to take over her body. She dreamt restlessly of a man, a woman and a little baby girl.