biography

FIRE ESCAPE,
marlene van allen

          Marlene Martin Van Allen was born on the Christmas morning of 1989 to Violet and Neil Van Allen. She became the younger sister of Victor Van Allen. Half-Dutch, growing up on the better side of life.

          When she turned eleven years old, Laura Mitchell entered her life, confirming in her head that she liked girls just as much as she liked boys. Laura and Marley started dating, making their relationship known to both their parents. Neil and Violet were accepting.

          Among those lost years, many people came and went, her brother included. He moved states for a better job, keeping contact to a minimum.

          But then another birthday came. And it was so cold. In those dark hours alone in her home, waiting by the Christmas tree for her parents to come home - but they never did. They died in a fatal car crash, leaving Marley to watch the snow fall as she cried for hours; and it only made her hate the snow.

          She immediately dropped out of school, because they found her bottle was filled with Vodka and not water.

           From then on, she pushed everyone away including her girlfriend. And everyone did go away, since her abrasive attitude caused a rift between her and the world around her; no one tried to help her anymore. She didn't want help.

          She wanted her family back.

          But one person did not give up. One person was determined to stay in her life, because since the day he met her, she caught his eye. Almost obsessive but extremely secret about his pursuit of Marley Van Allen, Jimmy Blake found an opportunity in a broken girl.

          He slipped between the cracks, pulling her towards him fast, with a facade of comfort on his face.

          And Marley fell for it.

          He took and he took from her after she fell for his act.

          By at least three months after the death of her parents, Jimmy Blake took her in the backseat of a car and raped her.

          But she couldn't leave.

          Many days went and gone, with accidents and crimes being passed down her memory lane.

          Memories including an attempted murder, which became humorous as Jimmy Blake was the one to stop it.

          A few days before Marley turned seventeen, she found out she was pregnant with Jimmy's child. And she knew it could not be saved. She knew she could not protect it.

          She did not intend to have it, but she wanted to.

          Jimmy Blake knew people, and he was on both the good and bad side of them. One of those people, owned a strip club called the Castle, and as Jimmy made him angry, he took his girlfriend and made her a favor.

          Marley acquired the nickname Ariel, because of her copper red hair and milky skin, the girls looked after her to an extent, but brought temptations her way in the form of razored lines.

          But fortunately, Marley resisted.

          And so her life became a routine. One of bruises, fear, strobe lights and violation.

          Jimmy Blake would let anyone who he did bad to, have his girlfriend their way, because it was the easy way out.

          Each day was anxiety and shaking hands, and she would have panic attacks each and every single day ; followed by curling up next to Jimmy Blake because he was the only home she knew for years.

          So Marley Van Allen lived that way before the year she turned twenty one, and a cabin changed her life forever.

          She turned one way instead of the other, walking barefoot through the forest on a silver path, spotting a flickering light bulb hung by a door.

          The door she entered, was essentially the right one. Because a life where she went back to Jimmy Blake, must have been an unimaginable one.

 Because a life where she went back to Jimmy Blake, must have been an unimaginable one

_____