Chapter Fourteen- Hair

[Hair]

*Matthew*

March 2, 2016

It's been a little over two weeks since Lyla's nose bleed. Since then, she has had another session of Chemotherapy and is due to have one in a few days. I absolutely detest what chemo is doing to her.

It makes her tired and achy, and she always throws up the night after. I made sure to stay the night after her second session, to hold her hair as she was vomiting into the toilet. 

She is such a fighter. She doesn't let me see weakness in her. Lyla tries to lift her chin and brush it off, however Bianca has told me time and again that she hears Lyla crying in her room. It kills me, knowing I can't do anything to help her. 

As of recently, Lyla has been worrying about money. In her mind, she was thinking that she would return to work already, but she misunderstood her illness. Some days, it's as if she can take on the world. Other days, she can barely walk down the stairs. 

The rent between Lyla and Bianca has become tight, though I know Bianca will never express the issue. I know, because I saw a notice on the kitchen counter the last time I was over, saying rent was passed due.

I pocketed the letter and paid three months worth of rent for them, without batting an eye. Hopefully that will help Bianca catch up with money and get them on their feet again. If not, I will pay the next three months as well.

I not only care immensely for Lyla, I still view Bee as a sister and I am not going to let either of them struggle financially. This seems to be the only way I can truly help them both and I am eager to do it. 

As the end of fighting season approaches, my fight with Sam follows. I know it will be the two of us at the end. Two months ago, I would have been thrilled to beat Samuel to a pulp. Now, it seems everything is put in a different perspective. Sam is best friends with Lyla and I know hurting him will hurt her. 

And I can't fight the fact that through this experience, Samuel and I have been able to see past our differences to help Lyla. For a short moment, a few weeks ago, I remembered the friendship I had with Samuel and missed it. 

"Don, are you coming to the fight tonight?" Talia asks, bringing me back from my thoughts. I take a gulp of my protein shake and lean against the counter to see Donovan's answer.

Talia is fighting tonight, against a man I beat a few years back. He's talented and large and I fear that Talia has met her match. 

"Of course. I'll close down shop early tonight, I don't have many appointments." I don't miss the look Donovan gives me, silently asking me for permission. It is my auto shop. 

I nod my head. I trust Donovan with my life. I trust Donovan with Lyla and I trust him with my money. So of course, I will trust his judgement. If we can close early, then he should close early.

"Awesome. I'm going to go for a run, a morning warm up. You want to join?" Talia asks, walking towards me but stopping a distance away. I glance down at her, noticing her attire is less than what she typically wears.

Actually, it seems Talia has been wearing less and less lately. 

She is wearing a navy blue sports bra and black spandex shorts. Her abs are evident as she crosses her arms over her chest, almost as if she is challenging me. 

I take a deep breath and nod my head. "Lets run into the city. I need to go to the post office to deliver some mail." I am already dressed in basketball shorts and a plain t-shirt.