Chapter 3: Don't Look Now

Melissa was smiling at Spencer cruelly as she walked by her room. Melissa had been victorious in getting their parents' support, leaving Spencer to be the villain.  Melissa the winner, Spencer the insane loser. Spencer sat down on her bed, she ran her fingers back and forth her feathery soft comforter, and balled her hands into fists. Everything around her slowly faded away, a black hole surrounding her. 

All of a sudden she popped into a seat in front of her family at Rive Gauche, a five star french restaurant. Her mother was in her black laced dress, her hair was pulled into a perfect low bun. Spencer's sister, Melissa was in a sleek navy blue dress. Spencer knew Melissa only came home from college to brag about all her accomplishments. Spencer looked to her father, his clean shaved face was grinning. Spencer just sat there feeling very confused, she looked into her designer bag. That's strange. Spencer thought she lost this bag years ago. Her hands went through her bag. She found a small hand-held mirror. She held the mirror and looked into a different world. There she was; her skin was pale, her eyes were bloodshot, and her frizzy brown hair was a strong reminder of horrible times. Then, she looked at the cloth hanging around her body. It was the The Radley Sanitarium patient's gown. What the hell? She looked back at her cheerful family. It looked like she was the only black and white character in a movie filled with color. 

Her mother looked directly into Spencer's eyes. She parted her lips and closed them again. Then she continued, still staring Spencer down. 

"Spencer, I could never hurt you...I'm your mother." Mrs. Hastings spoke, almost whispering.

The thing was..by the time "mother" escaped Mrs.Hastings' lips, Mrs. Hastings didn't look like herself. Confusion washed over Spencer. Mrs. Hastings was looking more and more like Ali's mother. Spencer squinted and looked closely, she saw who Mrs.Hasting morphed into . Mary Drake. Spencer's eyes widened and her jaw dropped. A river of emotions drowned her.

Spencer's eyes opened in a flash. What had just happened?  Spencer's whole body ached, her brain was aching too. Pain seared through her chest. Spencer felt as if she had just awoken from hibernation. Her mind was blank, the last thing she remembered was when Hanna had lead her and the girls to where she kept Noel hostage. Once they got to the room, all they saw was an empty chair with ropes strung around it. Noel had escaped. Noel stole Hanna's camera too, which had video evidence that could put Hanna behind bars. Everything after that was dark and blurry. It was a void in Spencer's mind. Spencer was thinking back to the dream she just had..What had that been about? Leave it to Spencer to have crazy nightmarish dreams about her family. The dream was slowly fading from her mind.

Wait a second...Where the hell am I right now?  How could I have not thought about this until now?  Pain shot through Spencer's body as she used all her might to sit up off the ground. She was wearing a ghostly white hospital gown. She scanned her surroundings. There were tall walls of dirt around her, she looked up to see a small hole. She could see the sky through the small crack. The sky was midnight black and bright stars were in view, a plane whirred by. It's flashing lights illuminated the night's dark clouds. Spencer freaked. 

"HELP!! HELLO? ANYONE?!" She screamed with a hoarse voice.

Teardrops rolled down her cheeks. This couldn't be happening! 

Spencer's only logical explanation was that she probably died at the hands of A.D and was dropped into a hell hole. Just as Spencer was going to run with the idea. Something moved above the little hole at the top of the dirt dome she sat in. Spencer squinted her eyes and focused hard. What was that?

"Hello? Is someone there!?" she yelled.

Suddenly something was slowly coming down from the top of the dome. It was attached to some sort of a string. Once the the thing swam into Spencer's reach, she pulled it off the fishing line. The line went back up and through the peephole. The thing  was a box of Cheez-its, Scrabble edition. Scrabble edition meant that the Cheez-its had letters carved into them. Spencer couldn't help but think of Toby whenever Scrabble was mentioned. To put it bluntly, Spencer and Toby's relationship was tragic. Spencer sighed, trying to pull away from any thoughts of him. She turned the box over, a bright yellow sticky note posted on top of the nutrition facts caught her eye. Writing was scrawled all over it.

Say goodbye to society, Spence..oh and Toby! I hear that some animals dig holes to live in, so they can hide from the outside. But there's no hiding from me or the messed up truth!                                                                                                                                                                             -A.D 

Spencer's mouth flung open, ready to catch flies. She should have known.