Part 4: The Tryouts

If you have anxiety than trigger warning I guess...

/Yamaguchi's p.o.v./

I had gotten myself into quite a predicament. I don't know why I thought in a million years that I could join the volleyball team. I nervously pushed my food around on my tray as I sat at my lunch table. Maybe I could just not go to tryouts. They would just cross my name out anyway.

"So I saw that you actually signed up. I'm surprised." Tsukki's voice came from behind interrupting my thoughts.

"Yeah well don't be. I'm perfectly capable of trying out for some sport." No I'm not... I thought.

"We'll just see if you actually show up, or if you just chicken out." He challenged.

"Oh I'll show up." I said shooting him a small glare.

"Like I said, we'll see." He then walked off with a smirk.

"Hey Yama!" Hinata greeted as he and Kegeyama sat down. "Did you sign up for tryouts?"

"Hey." I couldnt help but smile. "Yeah I did I'll be there. By the way I forgot to thank you guys for helping me out yesterday."

"Of course. Those guys are real jerks. They used to bully me all the time back in middle school when I came out as bi. Luckily once I got into high-school everyone kinda stopped caring about that stuff. At least for the most part." Hinata explained.

"Oh well that's good." I felt a bit more lift off my shoulders now that I know the school wasn't filled with a bunch of homophobic asshats like my old one. No this one is just filled with  a bunch of damn rich people who want to beat me up cause I was born into a lesser social class. Both reasons honestly don't make sense to me.

"So Yamaguchi I saw Tsukishima talking to you before we sat down." Kageyama spoke up. "Are you two friends?"

I couldn't help but laugh. "Pft no."

"Oh then how do you two know each other?" Hinata asked curiously. "What is he to you?"

"Well technically, since yesterday, he's my fiancé." I replied twirling my fork.

"WHAT?!" They both shouted in unison causing the whole lunch room to look over.

I felt myself blush a bit. "Keep your voices down, geez. I don't want the whole school knowing." I scolded them in a whispering voice as everyone around us started going back to eating.

"Why didn't you tell us he was your boy friend?" Hinata asked in a lower voice.

"He isn't." I stressed. "He's my fiancé our parents arranged the marriage."

"Oh well that's no fun. Now I can't tease you about it." Hinata sunk back into his chair puffing his cheeks out in a pout.

"Don't act so childish dumbass." Kageyama told him.

"I'm not childish bakayama, and even if I was you know you find me adorable." Hinata retaliated.

Kageyama's face reddened and he looked away. "Yeah right."

"Yama we have tryouts after school you need to eat your food not play with it." Hinata looked at my tray of uneaten food.

"Oh, y-yeah right." I replied. The returned thought of those tryouts caused the anxiety to come back. How am I supposed to eat when I feel like throwing up? Despite the feeling a began to eat anyway. I was somewhat a pro at acting like I was okay in front of people while mentally dying inside. After all I do it everyday.

Soon lunch ended and we all had to go back to class.

-&-

I dragged my feet along after school ended, headed toward the gymnasium. I still can't believe I signed up. I'm not good at volleyball! I'm going to make a fool out of myself and then they'll just be more people to hate and make fun of me. And I'd be at fault for giving them a reason... I can almost hear it now.

"Hey commoner remember when you tried out for the volley ball team as failed cause you're useless?"

I sighed as I reached the doors. There's still time to chicken out. No! I can't! Then I'll only get endless taunting from Tsuki. I guess it's a loose loose situation for me. Although in my life... Everything feels like a loose loose situation. I shakily reached out and opened the doors.

Inside there were a few people practicing. Just throwing around the balls making sure they'd show off before the actual tryouts. The actual members of the team watched casually as they talked with one another. Hinata and Kageyama were already there.

Although I already knew that... They practically ran out of last period at lightning speed once the bell had rung.

Hinata called to Kageyama and they did this very strange, but amazing, quick. Hinata spiking the ball perfectly to the other side. This shocked everyone even the third years.

Wow I didn't even know Hinata could jump that high. I'm useless compared to them... Oh God why the Hell did I think I could do this?!?! I quickly made a B-line for the bathroom. I think Tsuki saw me for a few seconds before I had ran away.

Once I was in the bathroom I leaned over the sink feeling sick to my stomach. I desperately tried to regulate my breathing. I ran some cold water and splashed some on my face, and looked at myself in the mirror. "Alright Yama you can do this just calm down. You'll be fine! You'll be fine. You'll be fine..." I took a few deep breaths. "Just get back out there and try your hardest." I walked out of the bathroom and almost bumped into someone. "Ts-Tsuki?" Did he see anything?

He didn't say anything he just looked back at me with a straight face. Then he suddenly put his hand atop my head, and ruffled my hair. "You'll be fine." And with that he walked away back into the gym. He didn't smile, or even change the tone of his voice, but his gesture was still comforting in a way.

I bought my hand to my head and felt a slight warmth go to my cheeks. Was he... Trying to cheer my up?

Hey guys I hope you like the new part! I do have anxiety so this isn't exaggerated... If anything it's under-exaggerated. On a happier note! A lot of you are saying you love this book and that makes me so happy. Please keep up the good support and I promise I'll try to update often.
                                -Hannah 😋