the dark [ nico x reader ]

You never know what lies in the dark. 

That's probably why small children don't like it, because they know what's there. They know that if they go, they'll be terrified. Not necessarily because of the thing that lies there, it may just be the uneasiness that settles in their stomach, that makes their heart pound loud in their head. 

You were a child. 

I mean, some darkness you can handle. The darkness of the night soothes you, turning off your lamp at night doesn't even make you think twice.

But this darkness... was something else. 

You could hear nothing, and it was a vast empty void of pure black, curling around you like smoke. Your short, shuttered breaths were quiet, and you couldn't help but shiver. So this is why they're afraid of the dark. You walked for what seemed like a long time before hearing something close- a small cry. "Who's there" you called softly. For a moment, the crying stopped. You could hear ragged breath meet the mist. "Go away," you heard. The voice was a smooth as chocolate- definitely male. Curious, you walked closer, padding your feet against the ground as softly as possible. "I said go," he warned. "How.." you began, but you stopped when you saw his face. It was as white as snow, tired and stretched across his bones. His shaggy black hair framed his face perfectly, and his dark eyes made you freeze. "I'm the Ghost King, sweetheart, I made all this," he said, motioning to void around. His hand brushed your arm shyly, and he looked around. "I can take you out," he said. 

He made it? 

He made the everlasting void, so scary and cold that it even made you scared? 

But he was warm, like hot chocolate on a winter's day, even though he had pale skin that you figure must've been tan at some point. "What's your name," you asked, shrugging him off and sitting down. He was alone out here. He had obviously been crying. 

Time for you to cheer the stranger up. 

"How is this any of your business," he said, sitting down with you. As much as he didn't like to admit it, he needed someone to talk to. It was obvious. "I'm Y/N L/N," you introduced, ignoring his question. He sighed, running a hand through his dark hair. "Nico... Nico di Angelo." "Victory the Angel?" you chucked. His face had the ghost of a smile, "Ask my mom, I have no idea why she decided on Victory." 

You reached over and touched his shoulder, forcing yourself to meet his dark eyes. "Tell me what's wrong. I know I'm a complete stranger and all, but you're crying in the dark all by yourself." 

That's when you cracked him. 

He broke down, telling you everything that's happened to him. You listened intently, fiddling with your jacket pockets. 

So that's what lurks in the dark. No monsters, or people of harm. Just sadness. Everlasting sadness that comes from a mental breakdown of a 16 year old boy. 

That's why the children don't like it. They're always too happy.

HEy you should go check out my book Harmony pls okay thank you bby's I love you!

(I wanna be known for more then just my oneshots sorry for the self promo)