Chapter Four: Lingering Warmth

Start from the beginning

"Fine." I said reluctantly. There was no use arguing with Dan because I wouldn't win anyways. She was stubborn as hell so it either has to be her way or a shoe up the ass. She was very caring though, we've been friends since middle school and has been very supportive ever since.

"Did that actually get through your head or are you just saying what we want to hear?" He asked knocking on my head.

I swatted his hand and grimaced, "I got it." I said, although I didn't promise anything. I was sure if I would take the second job but it was still on the table as an option if shit hit the fan.

Dylan shook his head. He knew me too well by this point. We've been friends since elementary school. He moved to my school and we got along right off the bat. I wasn't expressive even back then but Dylan was the kind of kid that befriended the whole school. He has a very cheerful personality and cares about everyone around him.

Dan and Dylan started talking about something else and laughing. I would smirk every once in a while but never laughed as hard as they would. I never had a grasp on my emotions. I've been told that it got worse after my mom died but I didn't see it. I was who I was and no one would be able to change that fact.

I could already see the school in sight as we turned the corner. I felt a cold breeze hit as I snuggled into my scarf and looked to my right. I completely froze as I saw the loan shark's son from yesterday. I wasn't scared of him, but instead cautious. At first glance, he didn't look real threatening but who knows how many people him and his group have actually killed. I didn't want to involve my friends in with him but the situation seemed inevitable. His eyes had already locked with mine and he was coming my way.

"Mikhail? What's wrong?" Dylan asked stopping and looking back at me. "Hello? Earth to Mikhail?!" He cupped his hand and shouted in my ear. I flinched and pushed him off. "If you can hear me then just say-"

"Uhm, guys." Dan asked pointing to the loan shark's son. Only then did I realize that he had two other people standing beside him. The same red head from yesterday was there and another boy I didn't recognize. He looked quite young to be hanging around with them. Dylan turned around and looked surprised.

"Mikhail. We meet again." He said coming and stopping in front of us with a mischievous smile.

I watched him carefully, unsure what he was going to do. I only nodded as a response. I didn't want to talk to him. I didn't want him to bring up the fact that he was a loan shark. That would only worry my friends unnecessarily.

"Cat got your tongue?" He teased and took his hand out of his pocket and ran it through his hair gently. I could see his black roots when he lifted his hair. It fell back lightly over his eyes.

"You're interested in a mute?" The young boy said beside him. His cheeks and nose were red from the cold air hitting his face. He noticed me staring at him and glared back, "What?" He asked harshly.

"I'm not mute. I just don't have the time to waste speaking with you all." I corrected him. "Hello." I said nodding my heads towards the red head.

She smirked with a light laugh and said, "hi."

"Huh!?" He asked. He looked like he was asking for a fight. Even if he was younger, I was sure he would win. He probably had more street smarts than me. His knuckles were red so I assumed he had probably been in a fight just before this.

"Now, now. No need to be blunt so early in the morning." The loan shark's son said with a light smile.

"Mikhail, who are these guys?" Dylan asked keeping his eyes on everyone in front of us.