The Blue House

The Noble Lady to occupy the Blue House would be Lin Mi Lan. Xi Gong Gong announced.

Everyone held their breath and started looking around. It wasn't just because Lin Mi Lan had come from a very prominent noble house but instead of what had happened during the previous week. 

Flashback.

A group of girls were resting in a pavilion at the back porch of their accommodation, it was a hot afternoon and there was a window of period for the girls to take a break and settle into their new rooms before the selection process was to begin. There were 12 girls that were assigned to each house. As everyone had already chosen their beds and settled down, they wandered into the back where there was a shallow koi pond and a beautiful Pavillion. 

In the midst of them was a girl called Go Yun. Her father was a prominent salesman and their family had been one of the many to pave trading with the people outside of the plains. She had been fuming over losing a window-side bed to Mi Lan who had refused to give it up despite her tantrum. 

Lin Mi Lan was a quiet and cold beauty who kept to herself throughout the entire morning. Dressed in a Hanfu that was much more masculine than it was feminine and having her hair up in a ponytail, from far away, many people had mistaken her for a young and handsome man. 

She was indeed tall and her face with delicate features could pass for both a handsome man and a beautiful woman. She was poised, calm and many girls and guys alike had found themselves swooning over her back in her district. 

For the entire morning ever since she had entered the Lotus palace though, she had kept quiet and refused to partake in any other conversations, replying only in a few words when needed. Go Yun had been seething in rage at Mi Lan's attitude towards her, she thought it was rude that someone was ignoring her.

Strolling up to Mi Lan who was sitting on the railings, Go Yun glared at the girl before her. Mi Lan had one leg up and was resting her head on the beam of the Pavillion, her eyes were closed and she was enjoying the warm breeze that was blowing into the yard. Oblivious to the mischief that Go Yun was about to commit. 

Go Yun smirked and decided to tease her. Earlier today she had overheard a maid gossiping about how Lin Mi Lan had lost her mother early when she was a child and was one of the only foster children to have come into the palace for this selection. 

Go Yun shoved Mi Lan from the banister and Mi Lan fell back, her eyes opened in shock at the sudden shove, but seemingly very skilled in wushu she merely leaped up and twirled in a circle before landing on her feet. Showing off her Qing Gong. (輕功 \ 轻功, a form of martial art skills.)

"What's with the haughty and delusional stance you have sister? We have spent hours trying to make friends with you but you are so rude that you did not bother to even reply to anyone of us. Is this because you grew up without a mother? Stop walking around with your nose in the air like you are so much better than any of us. A foster child in a noble family is still not noble by blood." 

With a haughty laugh, Go Yun pointed an accusing finger at Mi Lan. 

Mi Lan clenched her teeth in anger, she suddenly flew up from where she was standing and sent a flying kick towards Go Yun. The other girls screamed in terror at the unexpected response as they watch Go Yun get kicked right in the chest and was sent screaming and falling into the koi pond. 

Mi Lan stood there powerfully and lifted her nose up into the air.

"You can mock me all you want, but if you even dare mention my dead parents, I will send you to the doors of Fengdu Cheng myself. (丰都城; 酆都城, is in reference to Fengdu Ghost city of the dead) PUI!" Mi Lan spits