Golden Days

Hello, hello, hi, so sorry, WOW, this story has 10k views. Gosh. Thanks! So much! I actually never expected ANY of my stories to get this far. Sorry there's only eight parts. I update spontaneously, whenever I get inspired enough to write a full one-shot.

ONE THING THO: I'm writing a huge fanfic, like huge, with like a shit-Ton of bands and stuff (Panic!, FOB, tøp, MCR, FTP, etc.) and that's my main focus rn. I'll post a preview once I finish writing the first chapter, and I'll start publishing the story once I finish five chapters. Just a heads-up. Also, school starts in two days for me so I'll have an excuse to not update. Sorta. This one's kinda short, but I hope you enjoy!
•••

You saw the advertisement online, and wanted to scream, that's how cute they were.

Golden Retriever puppies had been rescued a week ago and were now looking for homes. You squealed when you clicked on the video clip, the puppies were so happy and lively! You were sold, that was it. You wanted a puppy.

"Brendon..." You began a few hours later, sitting on the couch with your husband. He was content, you were good at convincing him to do stuff, it was the perfect time to bring up the puppies. He slowly turned his head to smile at you. "Yeah?" You fidgeted with the hem of your jeans and took a deep breath. "I want a dog."

Brendon perked up instantly. "What? Really? Are you sure?" You nodded quickly, reaching out to grab his hands. "Please? It's perfect practice for when we get really serious about having kids! They were rescued a week ago, they're up to date on their shots, please?" Brendon looks away, serious, and frowns at the floor. He thinks for what feels like ages and finally, when he looks up again, says, "Alright. Sure! Yeah, let's get a dog."

You let out the breath you'd been holding in a loud whoop and dash off to your shared computer. "I'm gonna fill out an application!" You yell. Brendon laughs to himself. "Oh, (Y/N)..." He sighs.

•••

The pair of you spent the next three days puppy-proofing the house, and waiting for the application to get approved.

"Should we buy bowls or should we use some of ours?" Brendon looked through cupboards for old dishes.

"I mean, we can," you tell him, staring at your phone. "But they need to be metal bowls. Plastic bowls can spread bacteria." Brendon huffs and digs deeper. Your phone chimes, and an email notification appears at the top of your phone. It's from the shelter. With shaking hands and your heart in your stomach, you open the message. It says...

"WE GOT APPROVED!" You exclaim, running to your husband. He pulls you into a hug and laughs. "Awesome! And I was beginning to think we were doing this for nothing." You pull away only far enough to give him a playful glare and pull him in for a kiss. "Now let's schedule a meet day."

•••
It turns out that you can't go and meet the puppy, because of a work issue. You're devastated, and you beg Brendon not to go without you. Naturally, he doesn't listen.

Brendon looks at the two remaining puppies with a wide grin, almost giddy (they are wiggly, happy puppies, after all, who wouldn't be giddy?). They both come to him instantly when he crouches down, tails wagging, eyes smiling. One in particular though, one who reminds him especially of you, he keeps most of his attention on. She licks him and climbs all over him in great enthusiasm, and when the shelter volunteer comes back, he stands and says, "I think I found the dog I want."

The house feels empty when you get home, but it's big, so Brendon might be home as well. "Home!" You call, just in case. You hear a faint pitter-patter on the floor in response, and freeze. That's definitely not Brendon. You flinch as the get louder, and the animal gets closer. You look down to see a...a puppy. A golden retriever puppy, wiggling and and panting at your feet. "Brendon!" You yell, trying and failing to fight the smile forming on your face. Brendon-feet come down the hallway, and he laughs. "I see you've met The Puppy! Sorry, I know you said not to go but I wanted to surprise you. Not good?"

"No," you shake your head, smiling as you run your hand through the puppy's hair. "Perfect. This is awesome. I love you so much, Bren." You look up at him fondly.

"I love you too, (Y/N)." He joins you in a crouch on the floor and pets your puppy. "I was thinking Penny, for a name?" He asks.

"I love it." You declare.

•••
A/N

Ok so like I just kinda spontaneously started writing this in a car, so apologies for errors or missed details. THIS is inspired by the fact that I'm getting another dog! We might get her Tuesday and I'm so excited. Also, I love puns so I put another one in here.

Au revoir,

woahfob