#22: A Strange Meeting-Merlin

Comincia dall'inizio

Merlin frowned as if you'd just spoken in another language. "Erm..." 

"T-the books! They-they fell, a-and then... How did you do it? Tell me!" 

"I- I have no idea what happened." Merlin shrugged, pulling at his scarf. You glared and shook your head in disbelief "No! I saw it! Where did you learn it? If anyone saw-"

"What, no! " Merlin pulled a face and held up his hands. "That wasn't me, that was nothing to do with me. I just saw the books about to fall." He noticed how when he pointed to the books now scattered on the floor, his hand shook. "That was-" 

"I know what it was!" You exclaimed, rolling your eyes at him. Glancing around you, you bent your head down and lowered your voice. "How did you do it?"

"What are you talking about?" Merlin scratched his head. This guy was definitely bad at lying. Everything he did, he kept fidgeting. "Some books must have fallen on your head, Y/N." 

"How do  you know... magic?" You whispered. Your heart raced. It was like a drum, booming on a loop in your ears. Merlin gave you a mortified expression. He shook his head quickly,"I don't."

Eyes narrowing, you went to retort something but when the patter of approaching footsteps was heard by the both of you, you straightened with an innocent face to see the librarian. He stalked toward you with his eyebrows set in a straight line and his lips pursed out angrily. "You two!" Merlin gave you a look as you turned to the old man. If you didn't know any better, you'd think he was silently telling you not to mention the 'm' word. "What's all this noise about?" Merlin just vaguely waved a hand to floor where all the books were. The librarian placed his hands on his hips at the sight and muttered underneath his breath in annoyance making you roll you eyes. "What happened here? Why are the books on the floor?" 

Merlin sent you another glance. This time it looked more dangerous, threatening almost. You felt offended. Merlin smiled bashfully and scratched the back of his neck. "Uh, well, you see-" 

"You see," You interjected,"I was just getting a book that was at the back of the book case. I didn't really see the pile of books at the top... Urm, I pulled away with my book and I must've bumped it or something-" 

"-Yes." Merlin nodded with a sheepish smile. The librarian didn't look the least amused. "I saw Y/N take out the book and hit the bookcase with her elbow when she turned away. So I ran to help cover her when the books fell down-"

"-And that's why there's such a mess, you see. It was my fault." You said apologetically, looking at Merlin in the corner of your eye. "I was foolish and luckily, Merlin was around to help cover me before things got...out of hand." 

"I see." The librarian grumbled, stroking his chin in thought. "Well, see to it these get picked up and placed somewhere safe where they won't hurt anyone else. If you do that, I can forget about this act of idiocy." You tried not to narrow your eyes at the last word, instead exhaling out a sigh of relief. "Thank you so much. I'll do that right away."

"Good." The old man nodded curtly to you both before turning on his heel and wandering back to the front of the ancient library. Setting your own books aside on a nearby table, you looked to Merlin with a look of resignation. "You can go, Merlin. I've got this." With that, you bent down and began to pick up the heavy books one by one. Gaius is going to kill me for being late, you thought bitterly. When you didn't hear any retreating footsteps, you cocked your head over your shoulder to see Merlin placing a huge stack of books on the table. He had already cleared up half the books. You straightened with the rest of the books in your arms and frowned in confusion. How did he do that so quickly?  "You didn't have to do that." You assured in embarrassment."I said you could go." You put the books on the table and turned to your acquaintance with a flustered smile. "And you've done enough for me today already."