#22: A Strange Meeting-Merlin

Start from the beginning

"Shhh!"  You glanced over to the librarian in annoyance and mouthed an apology before turning back to Merlin. You dropped your voice to a soft whisper. "It was a miracle when I bumped into Gaius in town. When he asked what I was doing here, I told him my story. Luckily, he managed to convince the King that he needed an apprentice to run errands for him. He's teaching me the ways of an physician. Although I know Uther would never allow a female physician in his court, I hope to prove myself to him one day and make my family proud." 

"You remind much of an old friend of mine, Y/N." Merlin replied with a soft smile, clasping his hands behind his back. You blushed realizing you'd basically babbled you're life story to a complete stranger. "Really? Sorry, I've said quite a bit too much." 

"No. I enjoyed listening." Merlin insisted. The look in his blue eyes convinced you he was telling the truth. "It sounds like you have an interesting destiny ahead of you in Camelot." 

"You think so?" You blurted and tilted your head curiously. 

"I know so." Merlin winked, making you laugh quietly. Without warning, he leaned towards you causing your eyes to widen in confusion. Merlin reached above you before pulling back with a book in his hand. "Just dropped in to get this." You nodded in understanding. Merlin grimaced upon realizing how long you'd both been stood here talking. "Ah, sorry. I better get off. It was nice meeting you though, Y/N." He passed you and you looked after him with a smile. "It was nice to meet you too, Merlin. I hope we talk again." 

Merlin paused to flash you a bright grin. "Me too! Bye, Y/N." And before you knew it, he was gone. You held up you hand, your voice suddenly caught at the back of your throat. "Goodbye." You muttered to yourself eventually. Shaking your head, you went back to searching for your book. Soon enough did your eye land on something. "A-hah!" You murmured, seeing a big book at the back of the dusty bookcase. You could just about see its gold title under the layer of dust. Sticking your tongue out your mouth, you leaned forwards against the bookcase to reach in and grab your book. The book case creaked, moving slightly underneath your weight. Looking up warily at it, you paused before continuing with your task. You felt your hand curl around the book and with an accomplished smile you pulled back with the book in hand. You rubbed the dust off, smirking when you saw the correct title. 

What you didn't see however were the pile of book at the top of the book case wobbling dangerously just above your head. You turned to take your books and check them out, but your elbow suddenly hit one of the shelves. "Careful!" A familiar voice shouted. What happened next was something you couldn't explain. 

The movement was smooth, yet so gradual and slow that you couldn't decide if this was real or your imagination. The books were suspended over your head like someone had attached them to bits of string. Mouth dropped open, your brain only formulated thoughts of pure shock. You could barely hear yourself register any thought other than-What? What? What?  The books were still moving, but incredibly slowly, like they were on slow motion. Before you knew it, you felt someone push you against the bookcase and place their arms over your head so they loomed over you. You clutched your books to your chest and turned to see who it was, your eyes widening. Books upon books fell on Merlin's back, he winced and bit his lip in pain as they dropped from the top of the bookcase. They must've been heavy because at one point a low grunt escaped his lips. The books slid off his back to the floor. You stared up at him in shock. "M-Merlin?" 

Merlin managed to grin,"Y/N. I didn't think we'd meet again so soon." He pulled his arms away from your head and stepped back. You managed to push yourself away from the bookcase a little breathlessly,"What... was that you just did?" You hands now felt numb, almost slack on the books you'd clutched to you chest before.