Chapter Twenty Seven - Tying Loose Ends

Start from the beginning

-----

"Huy, Meng. Umiiyak ka na naman," Tonette said, looking at her worriedly. They spent the night together in Sagamore Hotel, taking the opportunity to also visit the people Maine used to work with as an intern. Today they were waiting for Miggy to meet Maine in one of her favorite restaurants here in Bolton.

"Tonette, maya-maya lang nandito na si Miggy. If this happened last year, or even six months ago, I would be jumping for joy. Pero iba na situation ko ngayon, hindi ko na siya mahal."

"Then wala ka dapat ikabahala. Just tell him that!"

"Hindi mo alam kung gano kagaling magpaikot ni Miggy. He's very convincing, he changed my mind so many times, all because I never could win an argument against him. He can confuse me and get the better of me."

Tonette reached out to hold her hand. "Bes, look at me. Listen, don't ever, EVER, fall for the guilt trap. I'm sure he will use that against you because he knows you're soft-hearted. With the few months you've been with Alden, I've seen you so happy and at peace. Kahit family mo, mas gusto siya. Tibayan mo loob mo, tiisin mo siya."

The door of Cate's opened, signaling Miggy's arrival. He had an uncertain smile on his face, he entered straightening his shirt and running a hand over his unruly hair as he glanced at a mirror wall to check how he looked.

Tonette transferred to another table and opened wattpad on her phone to pass the time. Miggy slid into a seat in front of Maine, looking uncharacteristically unsure of himself. Miggy usually looks a tad too confident and never ran out of the right words to say. He always calculated his moves with precision, which is why he was used to getting what he wants all the time.

"I still can't believe you finally agreed to meet me," He said, his hand itching to reach for hers. She discreetly pulls her hand away from the table and checks her phone for messages. Although Alden promised not to call or text her during her time in New York, she checked her phone anyway. Anything to avoid looking at Miggy, who was strangely making her feel uncomfortable with the way he looked at her.

He ordered cappuccinos for them, knowing the menu by heart. Cate's was one of their favorite Italian restaurants here in Bolton, a mere 15-minute walk from The Sagamore Hotel, where they both spent six months of their internship. The cappuccinos arrived shortly, served in fragile coffee cups and brandished with intricate coffee art, reminding her of afternoons spent in Italy with Alden. She smiled as she remembered the tour guide Elena getting flustered when Alden gave her a box of bonbons as a gift inside Dolci Cafe.

"What's the smile for?" Miggy asked, encouraged to see her in a good mood.

"Just a good memory from Italy," She said still smiling. She saw him trying to convert a grimace into a smile but failed miserably. She laughed, and decided to make the conversation as light and painless as she can, to let Miggy down easily.

"Maine, you do know why I flew from Miami to be here with you," Miggy began. "I never had the chance to apologize for making you feel alone when you went back to Manila."

"It's water under the bridge, Migs. I'm over it."

"But I put you through hell, Maine. You felt so alone then, and I knew you had expectations."

"It's ok Miggy, like I said, I'm ok now. I lived, I survived being without you. What did you expect? Were you hoping I'd come running back here because I needed you as an emotional crutch?"

"I know I hurt you. If you're still angry, I deserve it. I deserve the blame. I should have been more sensitive to your feelings."

"Angry? Ohhhh nooo....." She smiled, shaking her index finger at him. "I know what you're trying to do. Stop baiting me Miggy, it's not going to happen. I'm not going to be manipulated into thinking I can't make it without you."

"Really? That's sad. You've changed, Maine. What happened to the sweet and innocent girl I used to know?" He looked at her, his patience running thin.

"Yes Miggy, I changed. When I went home lonely, broken-hearted and lost, it was like I regressed to what I was when I first arrived in New York. You nearly broke me again, but this time, my family saved me. Alden saved me. Did you know that even before I met him, he already saved me? I used to watch him on TV, and was so taken with him that I started writing on wattpad using him as my romantic lead."

Maine stopped and was surprised with what she said. It was true. Strange that she didn't realize the truth till just now. Alden was helping her heal even before she ever met him. He helped her rediscover writing as an outlet, and in the process, led her to realize her secret dream of being in showbiz. With him. With real and unconditional love.

"We had a good run. Meng. Are you going to just throw that away? Are you blinded by the glam of showbiz and having an artista boyfriend? That must be it. You like the attention. The former introvert now loves being the center of attention." He smirked at her, thinking he hit a homerun. But Maine refused to be baited.

"Miggy, I cannot thank you enough for being the friend that you were when I needed someone. I realize now, it was wrong to have a relationship with you. I was alone in New York, homesick, unsure of myself and needing tender loving care that I also missed from my family. You were the only one there for me, and maybe I mistook gratitude for love, or maybe I did love you. But God willed it for us to part ways because what we had was not right for both of us. I accept that now, not because I have Alden, but because I am wiser now."

"So that's it? After all I've done for you, you'll dump me in favor of that filthy rich pretty boy."

"Is this what you're resorting to now? Badmouthing him just to get me back? You forget that he sent me here for your benefit, because he respected what we had. He's risking losing me because he wanted to give you a fair chance. Tell me, would you do the same if you were in his shoes? I don't understand you. Bakit ngayon pinaglalaban mo na ko? What's the difference between now and a year ago? I see it as your ego not accepting that I've moved on."

"Meng, I said I made a mistake. I'm sorry. I want to make it up to you, and how can I do that if you won't come back to me?" He was starting to look glassy-eyed, his hand reaching for hers. Tonette saw and stood up to approach Maine but Maine signaled for her to sit back down. Gently, she pried open Miggy's fingers and pulled her hand away from his grasp.

"Miggy, I've forgiven you. I don't know if we can still be friends, maybe not right now but soon, when emotions have settled. I've changed, that's true. But I like myself now. I love Alden, not for any reason, I just do. Even before he loved me back, I already loved him as a fan. I loved him even more when I got to know him as RJ, because he respects me. He lets me be me."

"I used to think I wanted so much to go back to New York because of you, Miggy. But I'm here now, and it's not the same. I expected to be joyous, because I missed being here. But now, all I can think about is to get back on the plane, go home and tell that guy waiting for me that I really, truly love him. I'm sorry. It's truly over for us."

She stood up, ruffled his hair and patted his shoulder before walking away. She walked over to Tonette's table and motioned for her to go. Tonette paid for her coffee and walked out with her, leaving Miggy watching them go.

Maine took a deep breath, happy that her ordeal was over. She let out a loud whoop of joy, laughing when people looked at her.

"Where to now?" Tonette asked, arm in arm with her. "Do you want to have dinner somewhere?"

"Yes, let's celebrate, " Maine said, smiling. "But after I change my return flight. I want to go home tomorrow."

"Can't wait to go home?"

"Can't wait. I miss him badly."