Chapter 2

DAHLIA

Two days.

Looking at the water bill in front of me, the echoing words still rang in my ears. The choice of paying my bills or paying for my expensive treatment, which was unrealistic. I could never find enough cash to pay it.

I sat on my worn-out couch and saw outside of the window that was nearby. I began to zone out of my situation, and into a daydream of another life with friends and family. Dwelling into something that I longed for so long, unrealistic.

My eyes shifted at the small room around me, where one room consisted of a living room, which turned into a bedroom and kitchen. I remembered when I rented this room that came with a sofa in the middle of the room. It was the same sofa I was sitting on right now.

It had been cheap because everyone was afraid of this neighborhood. Others were afraid because they believe that people who died on this room was haunted, but I hadn't seen any ghost, yet. The owner of this place kept the sofa.

However, this room seemed insignificant now, as my life was coming to an end in few months.

The realisation hit me with a tone of bricks.

I was dying and I am not able to do anything.

Next to me was a table where a small and sharp razor blade, and I grabbed it. That blade made its way to the wrist and for a second, I pressed, and a droplet of blood crept out. The silent tears ran as I realised that this was not what I wanted.

I tried to justify somehow that was alright, but a part of me knew it wasn't.

I took the blade out of my wrist and threw across the room. The thoughts clouding my judgment and a sob erupted out of me before I could stop. I wasn't able to end my life here and now... and I was glad because this wasn't how I wanted to go.

The cries died down after few minutes and I walked to the attached bathroom and saw myself in the mirror. I could clearly see the dark circles under my eyes, I was hurt and tired.

Looking at my wrist again, a small burning sensation was felt but it wasn't anything compared for what my heart was feeling. Putting my wrist under the water, I cleaned carefully the blood that still crept out and put a bandage into it.

During my outburst, something inside of me shifted, like the reality was no longer foggy.

I had a tumor that I couldn't treat without money, and without it – I would eventually die.

Death was inevitable, whatever was in a split second or lasted hours. I knew that I had something that I couldn't afford to treat.

I took a decision.

I would live my days as I am living thus far, which meant acting as nothing has ever happened.

For now, it's all I could do and that was enough.

-------

Author's note:

I don't condone suicide. I am sorry if I offended anyone but it was important for this plot. I hope you understand.

Like and comment!