Day 13 - Special Green Velvet Cupcake

Aidan breathed in the warm steam and let the air escape with an audible sigh. His body was all mushy, surrounded by hot water and bubbles which occasionally were bursting, tickling his skin in the process.

"The dorms are beautiful, I swear!" April exclaimed, her voice distorted by the phone's speakers. He hummed without opening his eyes and received a huff in response.

"You're in the tub, aren't you?" she wanted to know and he hummed again. "I swear, that thing is like your side bitch. Or main bitch because you have no other bitch."

"April," Josh groaned in the background.

"What?" she practically screeched and Aidan grimaced at her high-pitched voice. Gosh, why was she so excited this early? Wasn't she tired or something?

"Will you go to Yale?" he asked, his voice hoarse even to his own ears. He hadn't eaten breakfast yet because he had rolled out of bed and crawled into the bathroom this morning, his only goal the heavenly tub. 

"I don't know," she drawled and giggled. "It's so pretty."

"Sorry, Aidan." Josh's voice was now clearer; he was likely in charge of the phone now while April pouted. "She took one of those weird green muffins a student sold in the hallway of one of the dorms. I guess it was a hash muffin or something."

"She ate a hash muffin?" Aidan chuckled at the mental image.

"Unfortunately, yes," Josh groaned while April babbled in the background about her being an undercover spy for sweets. Yes, it had been a hash muffin. If that was even possible.

He lazily shifted, the water sloshing around him until it settled back down. He nearly moaned at the delicious heat seeping into his muscles and relaxing them.

"I swear, it was definitely a cupcake," April explained sulkily. "Therefore it was a hash cupcake."

"That doesn't change a thing," Aidan said amused. He contemplated threatening to fire her because of drug use just to scare her but he decided against it, he wasn't that cruel after all. Although it would have been fun.

"It changes a lot! It had frosting on top!" April argued with what should probably sound like a serious voice but the giggles she couldn't contain ruined the effect. Aidan pitied Josh for having to endure her right now.

"April, don't you dare take off the seat belt," Josh warned and there was rustling to be heard.

"But I want to stick my head out of the window," she whined and Josh cursed under his breath while Aidan had a hard time not to full out laugh at them.

"I'm hanging up now, Aidan. I need to take care of this toddler," Josh said, his voice strained as he tried to stop his girlfriend from playing dog.

"Bye, Aidan! I love you! Mummy loves you! Look left and right before you cross the street! Use condoms! I lo-" April was abruptly cut off and Aidan blinked an eye open to see that the call had been disconnected. He closed his eyes again and sunk deeper into the hot water. His limbs were not the only thing aching from a week of work, his heart was aching, too, though it wouldn't get better just by enjoying a bath. At the moment he didn't believe that it could get better at all. Perhaps he would be stuck with that pain in his chest for the rest of his life; a constant reminder of what could have been but would never be.

He remembered every word Keith had said. And he couldn't stop thinking about them, analyzing them, weighing them for any hidden meaning.

It was stupid and he knew that he was hurting himself this way but it was hard to forget for even a moment when he was alone and everything was silent. There was too much space for his thoughts to go on a rampage and he had no clue how he should reign them in. It was hard to forget about Keith when the man had given him so much to remember.