Chapter 33: The King

Start from the beginning

"Yes," I played with the embroidery of the pillow, "I have loved someone like that."

"What was the result?"

"She's gone."

Silence had rotten the atmosphere of the chamber. Then Juba picked up his cup again gulping down its contents before standing up to retrieve some more. Soberly he asked, "So what will you tell her, Helios?"

"First," I inquired, "Do you want her to divorce you?"

Coldly he answered, "Selene's decision makes no difference to me." He returned to his desk with a unwatered and unsweeted full cup of wine which he immediately drinks and almost spills. "If she is happy, I will continue my life the way it is and has been. I have two heirs now, and if I lose them I have Drusilla and Kleopatra to bear me more, as Julia bears princelings Augustus." His expression flowered into a smile, "Kleopatra is deserving of her name."

"The Father's pride?"

"She is more than that, I assure you. But correct. I forget that you are half Greek, your mother is a prominent woman in Rome."

"Where is Selene," I waved away his observation.

"In the baths with the children, they finished their morning prayers and will be going to the city to pay alms." He stood again and poured water into his wine cup, drinking it by the table. "She will be in the gardens where the male peacocks are," he added. "If you can convince her...to stay...you can receive your advisorship again and become Governor of Volubilis, once again. Ammayas weilds too much land and power. Sometimes," I chuckled, "he acts like the King. I would enjoy to see him put in his place."

"Thank you, Your Grace."

"In addition to this, I have a request to deliver." He set his wine cup down and walked towards the beautiful shelves. He picked out one scroll with Ammaya's broken seal. "Here, from Ammayas." He passed it to me and walked towards his desk. I unrolled the scroll. "He wishes to marry of his daughter Tasa to one of your sons. To refresh your memory, Tasa is the third daughter of Ammayas four daughters. He is sending the elder two into respectful cults, primarily the ever growing cults of Isis and Juno."

"I forget he does not have any sons." I skimmed through the letter. "How does she look like again," I dropped the scroll onto the couch and watched him. He was leaning against his desk admiring the wood, so it seemed.

He smirked, "Tasa is the silent one with charcoal eyes, raven hair, olive skin...the perfect wife. But not the beauty that the youngest is. I noticed something about Caden."

I narrowed my eyes and eyed him with interest.

"He adores the youngest girl, Anahid. She is fair haired, blue-eyed, has the skin of the Berbers. Beautiful child. That is what her name means, flawless. She is a close friend of Drusilla, the same age even. Together, they make the prettiest pair of jewels. A gift for any man. Caden is very close to the girls, particularly Anahid. He trains her with the sword, even though she is only seven, and a girl. She is a fierce child, and Caden enjoys her company. Perhaps, one day we can match them."

"Perhaps. So my son Nik for Tasa?"

"Yes."

"I will ask him. He told me he was infatuated with another girl."

"He's fifteen," he rolled his eyes, "interests change. Your's did." His eyes met mine, and an invisible shiver spiraled down my spine.

"How old is Tasa?"

"She is ten, about to be eleven. He wants them to be engaged a year before an actual marriage. He is willing to provide an ample dowry, too."

"I read." I leaned up on the couch and decided it was time for me to depart. "I think I have used enough of your time."