Chapter Twenty- Nothing as Expected

Vitale

After years of animosity between my Family and the Fedorov's, we were finally going to take them out. Everything was planned, almost down to each gunshot. One Crew would remain to protect the Estate, and the rest of us, plus two Irish Crews the Gallagher's had lent us, would take own the entire Fedorov Family. I was so ready, my blood was burning, and all I had in mind was the prize- Joseph Fedorov's head on the ground. Even Violet had been pushed to the back for the first time since I met her. I had expected it to be hard to keep her off my mind, especially after she held me so close before I left, like it would be the last time, but she didn't need to worry. Our men would be fine, victorious, and I would return a champion for her. For everyone.

"Ready?" Romano asked, and I turned to see him standing behind me. We had parked half a mile away from the Fedorov Estate after clearing their warehouses, and the other Capos, Crews, and snipers were waiting for my go-ahead. Romano would be staying behind, as at least one of the Boss or Underboss had to survive.

"I am," I replied after a moment with total confidence. I needed to remain calm to ensure I wouldn't jump in too fast out of excitement. But after a deep breath, I knew it was time.

"Say the word," Romano smiled. I nodded and lifted the speaker to my lips.

"Move out."

And the men burst into action.

The Crews stuck together, splitting off from the main group and heading to the separate exits, while individuals such as snipers and our one pyrotechnician went on their own routes. As for me, I led my Crew straight up the middle, right towards the front of the Estate. We ran stealthily through the woods, using purely instinct to find our way, until we emerged into the clearing where the Estate sat. I counted to seven using my synched watch before sprinting forward to kick in the front door. On cue, the Crew to the side began firing into an open doorway. I didn't focus on them though-- they knew what to do-- and instead zoned in on my own part of the mission.

The door banged open with a crash, and I saw that my boot had cracked the wood. When I was inside, I found chaos, as I was expecting, but not nearly the amount I had anticipated. My Crew took action and began firing upon everyone save our own and the innocent women running terrified to cover. I watched from a few steps back, ducking, rolling, and shooting when I needed, and began calculating in my head the situation. I killed a good four men, and saw my Crew gun down another eight coming from surrounding hallways, but the action was dying down before it even felt like it started.

From the stairs leading down to the front of the mansion came a few shots, and one of my men was hit in the shoulder and dropped to the ground before I was able to kill the shooter. I ducked behind the swinging door before I too was downed, and took turns exchanging fire with the man on the stairs. I leaned out to fire off another couple shots just in time to see the Russian drop and fall dead down the stairs, and one of the Gallagher men run up the steps to continue clearing the second floor. A few more shots sounded from the back of the house and the upstairs, and then it was quiet.

"Clear," I heard from my radio, far too soon to be reasonable. Two more clears came in, and then an unexpected message from Benito, who had been on the back entrance, came through.

"They're here," his voice said flatly through the radio.

"Who?" I snapped, but I should have known something was amiss.

"Vasiliev."

It wasn't exactly panic that came over me, but confusion and irritation. See, the Vasiliev's were a rival Russian Family to the Fedorov's, and while they weren't our enemies, they definitely weren't our friends either. And now, it seemed as though they had decided to join our party of destruction.