Chapter 40

(Mark's P.O.V.)

I'm shocked by the horrific sight in front of me. Jack is on his knees, his arms crossed around his stomach. He's bending over a bit, letting his tears fall into the grass. And he's yelling, he's sobbing and yelling and crying and it's heartbreaking. It's heartbreaking to see this boy, this boy who tries so hard to hide his emotion, this boy who doesn't show emotion to anyone, break. He's broken, he's kneeling here, sobbing. When I spoke his name it was a mere whisper compared to his cries, making it so he didn't hear me. He hurt me... But right now I don't care. 

I just want to comfort him and make him feel better. I walk up to him slowly, kneeling down next to him. He doesn't open his eyes but I know that he knows I'm here. I put my arm around him and he just cries harder, if that's even possible. I don't talk, I don't try to move him, I just let him cry. I lean on him a bit, offering as much comfort as I can right now. He doesn't speak, he doesn't move, just cries and yells and sobs. Every time he yells something I feel a part of me just shatter. It's so heartbreaking, watching this. I want it to be over for him, I want him to feel better. But I don't know what to do. 

I put my other arm around him, hugging him and he collapses, leaning into me. He puts his hands on my one arm, grasping my hoodie. I rub my other hand up and down his back slowly, trying my best to make him feel a little better. Eventually, after a good five minutes just sitting there with Jack crying, me hugging him, he calms down. Probably more from pain then anything else. I'd imagine after crying like that for five minutes his throat probably hurts. We sit in silence for a moment. I don't want to speak, I'm scared I'll break him again. But I need answers. I open my mouth to speak but he beats me to it. 

"I'm sorry." He says it so quietly, almost a whisper. I frown a bit. 

"Why are you sorry?" I speak quietly and calmly, careful not to break the fragile boy. He lets a few more tears fall down his cheeks and I softly wipe them away. 

"I'm sorry for everything. For ever coming into your life. I just push people away and make them upset or mad. I just hurt people, mentally and physically. I don't deserve a friend like you, and you deserve way better than me. I'm just a monster." He speaks quietly and the last few words I barely heard. But I heard them. He thinks of himself that way? As a monster? I shake my head. 

"Jack you are not a monster." I say, hurt that he'd ever think that. I so badly want to tell him I love him and that I will always love him, but I know this isn't the right time. 

"Yes I am Mark, just admit it. All I've done is hurt you..." He says, on the brink of crying again. I sigh. I want to tell him the truth. He needs to hear the truth. I just hope he doesn't break again. 

"Yeah. You have hurt me. In the past. It doesn't matter what you've done in the past. You are an amazing friend and an amazing person. You have helped me and healed me in more ways then one. Yes, you have made a few mistakes along the way. Who doesn't? Did I overreact to some of those mistakes? Yeah. But it doesn't matter, because I will always be here and I will always come back to you. Because you are not a monster." I say, running my fingers through his hair the entire time. He's silent for a good minute or so. But then he speaks. 

"What about... A few days ago?" He asks. I chuckle. 

"Ann told me what happened. And I overreacted big time. You know what though?" I say. He looks up at me and I see some more tears fall down his cheeks. I wipe them away with a smile. "I was planning on dropping by tomorrow." I say. He smiles ever so slightly, staring into my eyes as I stare into his. 

"Really?" He whispers. I nod. 

"Really." I say, pushing his hair out of his eyes. He closes his eyes and just then pushes himself out of my embrace only to wrap his arms around my neck and put his head against my chest. I chuckle, wrapping my arms around him as well. 

"I still don't deserve you." He says, and I can hear the smile in his voice. I chuckle. 

"I don't deserve you either." I say, smiling as well. And so we just sit there in the grass, hugging. I'm so glad I came to the park today.

A/N: Hey guys! Sorry for the lack of updating tomorrow. Ended up staying overnight at a friends house and I didn't have access to my computer =/ Sooooo to make up for lost time I will be updating 4 chapters today! Woo! (Not that exciting cause I do it all the time anyways!!!)