Chapter 5

Madisson

     Nathan and I are walking down by the streets outside the headquarters. It’s his first time out after the implant operation. He isn’t telling me itineraries for this day so I walk with him without questions. We look like commoners of Virginia right now. Nathan has his plain gray shirt paired with jeans and sunglasses on while I wear my usual white shirt with jeans and sunglasses on too with my brown hair on a bun.

     After walking around three blocks I finally ask him, “Where do you plan to go today?”

     He looks around. “I’m not really sure.”

     “Make up your mind. I don’t want to be dragged around.”

     It’s a sunny day and I am glad to be out at this time. I honestly think my personal day out was too short. I am glad Nathan gave me a chance to be out again by asking Mr. Brennan to bring me along. I don’t exactly know why. At least I get to take a break.

     Nathan suddenly says, “Let’s go somewhere populous.”

     I look at him. “Why?”

     He grabs me by the wrist and leads me to a corner behind an apartment. Nobody is around, not even a stray cat.

    Nathan double checks the area and when he confirms that no one is around, we teleport together.

     After a breath, instead of red bricks and garbage cans in front of me, I see a door of a bathroom stall. I turn around and see Nathan behind me.

     “You brought us to a bathroom stall!” I whisper. We are lucky enough to arrive at an empty one.

    He smiles. “I’ll see you in the nearest coffee shop.” With that, he’s gone and I’m left in the women’s bathroom.

     I flush the toilet just to make a reasonable excuse of my sudden appearance and open the door. Only one woman is behind the sink and fixes herself in front of the mirror. I leave and look for the nearest coffee shop in the mall.

     Gigantic the building is, I struggle to look for the nearest coffee shop. I don’t usually come here and stroll. Everywhere I turn and look, I see boutiques and stalls. As I am about to go to another floor, I see a coffee shop behind the escalator.

     I head there and see it’s full of people. I see a vacant chair just outside and take a seat as I wait for him.

     I glance at my wrist watch and notice I have been scanning the crowd for his presence for two minutes. I begin to think of possibilities that he might have trouble teleporting somewhere.

     “Here’s your cup,” I hear Nathan say behind me.

     He takes his seat across the round table and places my cup of coffee in front of me. “Did you just teleport inside the coffee shop and buy these?”

     “No, I was from the bathroom and came here first.”

     I take my coffee and sip some. “For three minutes?”

     “Yes.”

     He probably knows this place better than I do so I dismiss myself for inquiring. “Okay.”

     For four hours, we stay in the mall swarming with people. I have various questions in mind about his choice to be in here but I don’t have the mettle to ask him. I find some moments to be dull but who am I to intervene and tell him to do things.

     We have minimal conversations about irrelevant and time-killing topics. We approach the exit doors of the mall and step outside.

     But what I see isn’t Virginia at all. I look around and feel euphoric. The familiar scenery and scent of air is unmistakable.

     We are in Pennsylvania, mine and Emma’s hometown. I look back. We are in Ross Park Mall in Pittsburgh. How much I miss this place! I grasp and absorb every detail I can see and stock them in the back of my mind for me to linger with it in the future.

      As I look around, I envy the normal lifestyle of people. I realize how different I am already and how I can never be back to being ordinary again. But I made this choice for a reason. And I guess I had enough years lived as one of the people I am watching right now.

      Distracted by the wonder of the surroundings, I forget about Nathan for a while. And I feel his absence in the place.

     My heart beats faster than normal as I notice he isn’t around. I turn to my sides and look to every corner to where he could be. But he isn’t here. He could’ve teleported to a different location.

      I give him five seconds to reappear or else he leaves me no choice but to call Mr. Brennan.

      5. 4. 3. 2. 1.

      Damn it. I dial Mr. Brennan with my phone on the palm of my hand and hear the faint ringing tone.

      “Hello, Madisson. What made you call?” Mr. Brennan speaks on the other line.

      “Madisson!”

      Nathan’s voice and breath brushes my hair and a strand lands on my cheek. His hand covers my phone while standing behind me.

     I bring my phone to my ear and Nathan voluntarily puts his hand away. “We are actually in Pennsylvania right now, sir.”

     I hear Mr. Brennan chuckle. “Oh, I see. Have fun, my dear. Enjoy your day off. You might not get it more often.” I can hear the seriousness of his voice behind his quirky remark.

     “Thank you, sir.” Mr. Brennan drops the call first. He probably knows wherever we are yet he doesn’t fret about it.

      I face Nathan swiftly and he backs away. “Where have you been?” I ask fiercely in a whisper.

      “I’m sorry. I tried my best to…” I stare at him. “…I just went somewhere I want to be alone.”

      I sigh out a breath and clench my hands into a fist. Of course, this is his day. He deserves some time alone. But he could’ve told me.

      “You should have told me, Nathan,” I say gently.

     “I know.” He grabs my wrist. “Let’s go.”

    I nod and follow him to a corner. Without stopping, we teleport in no time and arrive at the headquarters by the Kryptos while still walking.

      I let go of his hold and walk towards my room. I can’t believe how dismayed I am by how the day turned out. He follows me behind and we don’t say a word to each other. Then I realize how stiff my fists are. I flex my fingers and continue to walk.

     I want to say how grateful I am to him for bringing me back to my hometown but leaving me that way is enough to be protective over him. I hope he understands, maybe not now but later.

     The walk towards my room would take seven minutes so I speed away, leaving Nathan calling me by my name.