Chapter 1

Madisson

                One, two, three, four, five. I count my steps as I walk with a nurse towards the basement to meet my parents. After weeks of testing and isolation, I will finally be able to see the outskirts of Virginia once again. The air conditioned breeze, incandescent lights, and footsteps of briskly walking men and women are the sceneries I get to see everyday until now.

                I halt on my one hundred sixty second step and see my parents out of their car. We embrace each other with glee.

                “How are you, Madi?” mom asks with unusual curiosity. I feel mom and dad inspecting me from head to foot.

                I chuckle, expecting that question for almost a month. “I actually feel normal,” I stress out the last word.

                The nurse interrupts us, “Good morning, Mr. and Mrs. Schofield. Will you please allow me to tell you precautions to take note of for Madisson?” My parents turn their attentions to her. “Let me just cite the dos and don’ts. Madisson, please listen.” I nod. “As you go outside, your senses won’t function the normal way anymore so please be mindful…”

                She babbles about things I probably heard gazillion times already for the past weeks. I glance at my parents who are diligently listening and nodding to the nurse every after sentence she states. I turn my head towards the exit of the parking ground.

                “…so that’s all you should never forget. Have fun.” The nurse curtsies goodbye and leaves. Mom, dad, and I get in the car. Dad ignites the engine and we leave the CIA Headquarters in no time.

                “How are you?” I ask them while I adjust myself at the backseat.

                Dad replies first, “Well you know, plain old boring work for the Homeland Security.”

                “Thank God it’s boring! When the time comes it isn’t, the country is probably under attack,” mom says.

                As dad takes the familiar turn in an intersection, euphoria hits me. Dad parks on a diner we have been going to for years. I couldn’t stop myself from grinning. Mom notices and she grins back I feel like a teenager again who is always fetched from school every afternoon.

                I step out of the car and feel the concrete ground. I look around and see the people wandering about the sidewalks, doing their own business. I notice the sun shining bright and I squint my eyes due to the edginess.

                I close my eyes for a second. Mom calls me from behind,” Madi, let’s go.”

                I turn and follow her to the diner. The door chime greets me and I hear people chatting from every corner. I thought I can read people’s minds but I am mistaken. I actually hear all of them speak.

                “The game yesterday was awesome, dude!”

                “Oh my god, like, I can’t believe broke up with me for her!”

                “Wait, will you explain to me this problem?”

                “Take back what you said!”

                “Here’s the follow up order you made, sir.”

                “Madi, over here!” I hear my dad say from a table at the back where we usually stay. I approach them while shimmying myself in the full packed diner.