Chapter Twenty Three - Patring's Request

Magsimula sa umpisa

They performed their dance number successfully, to the delight of fans. Maine was slowly getting the hang of performing in front of a live audience, getting over her momentary stage fright with Alden's reassuring glances. She really loved how he took care of her and made sure she would do things with the least worries possible. 

Alden was appearing as part of the panel for the Sugod Bahay segment, giving Maine a chance to talk to Patring. She looked around for Patring and found her playing with Baste. She played along with them, tickling Baste because she liked hearing him laugh. When Baste's mom came to take Baste for his nap, she took the opportunity to talk to Patring.

"Pwede ba kitang makausap, Patring?" She asked hesitantly, afraid that Patring would turn her down. But Patring just gave her a dazzling smile and pulled her into one of the dressing rooms so that they could have privacy to talk.

"Bakit Maine, may problema ka ba kay Alden?"

"Wala naman, kukumustahin lang sana kita. Diba close kayo ni Alden? Bakit parang may nararamdaman akong gap between you two? Wala naman nakukuwento si Alden na nag away kayo."

"Wala kaming gap Maine, ok lang kami, don't worry."

"But you used to be so close! Dati, hindi kayo mapaghiwalay. I even thought there was something going on between you two, pero sabi ni Alden friends lang daw kayo talaga."

"Friends pa rin naman kami eh. Maine, bayaan mo na. Ok kami."

"is it because of me? Is it because naging girlfriend niya ko kaya kayo hindi na close?"

Patring looked like she was about to say something but stopped herself. She looked away, then back at Maine again, struggling with what she wanted to say.

"Maine, may aaminin ako sayo but don't take it the wrong way, ok? Kasi, to be honest, I want us to be friends also. Gusto ko ok rin tayo. Pwede kaya yun?"

"Oo naman, Sige, I'm listening."

"Alam mo, I actually told Alden I'd stay away from him and asked him to do the same with me. Nakita ko kasi, ang saya-saya niya with you, and I am really, sincerely happy he found you. Do you remember that time I visited you both sa photo shoot niyo? I saw how uncomfortable you were with our closeness. And I understand, Maine, I know the feeling. Mahirap talaga makita yung mahal mo na nag-eenjoy in someone else's company. "

"Bakit pumayag si Alden na magdeadmahan kayo? Magkaibigan kayo eh."

"Mahal ka niya eh. Ramdam rin niya discomfort mo, and he wants you to be assured of his faithfulness. Ayaw ka niyang mamroblema. Ako rin, ayoko siya mamroblema, ako na lang ang nag-adjust."

"Nahihiya ako sayo Patring. Don't do this, don't sacrifice your friendship for my sake. Aaminin ko, I was insecure, and I felt like I intruded on something special between you two. Akala ko nga nung umpisa, I was getting in the way. " She took Patring's hand and squeezed it reassuringly.

"Thank you for being sensitive to my feelings. Pero tama na, let's all be good friends. Sana hindi ko nasira yung friendship niyo."

Patring squeezed her hand back and spoke, her voice unsteady. "Maine, may hihingin lang ako sayong favor. Please be good to Alden. Mahal ko yan, napakabait niyang tao. Ang swerte mo, to be the recipient of his love, because he's rare. Konti lang ang katulad niya na talagang mas mamahalin ka kaysa sa sarili niya. Kahit sa family niya, ganyan siya."

"Alam mo, halos sabay kami nagsimula dito sa EB. Siya ang unang nakipagkaibigan sakin then, he was always there for me, ready to help all the time. Not only to me, kahit kanino ganon siya. Please be sure of your feelings for him, don't hurt him. Ang dami na niyang pasakit na pinagdaanan, I just want to see him happy."

Maine felt Patring's sincerity with her words. But her woman's intuition told her something else: that Patring had feelings for Alden, the kind that loved unselfishly. But instead of threatening her, it endeared Patring to her. She felt lucky to be loved by someone she loved back, and hoped Patring would find someone who would give her the love she deserved.

After Eat Bulaga, Alden took Maine to the condo so that she could take a nap. Alden had rehearsals for Sunday Pinasaya and promised to be back at her condo for a late dinner with her. She remembered her talk with Patring and clung to him, hugging him again when he already let go to leave.

"Oh, bakit clingy ata baby ko ngayon?:" He hugged her back tightly, loving that she was reluctant to let him go.

"Wala lang, narealize ko lang na ang swerte ko sayo, babe. Thank you for loving me the way you do." With both hands, she pulled his face closer and kissed him deeply. Their lips moved with hunger, tasting each other, loving the blend of smooth and rough textures of lips and tongues. His stubble tickled her neck as his mouth dipped to nibble on her neck and shoulder, his arms wrapped around her waist.

"Ayoko na magrehearse," He whispered seductively at her ear, biting it playfully. "Ikaw kasi eh, ngayon mo pa napili maglambing eh."

"Rehearse ka na babe, I'll wait for you. Alis ka na para matapos na kayo agad." She playfully pushed him to face the door and pushed him again toward the door. But just as he was about to open the door, she hugged him from behind, biting him playfully in the arm.

"Ayan tayo eh, papaalisin daw ako eh lalo mo naman pinapahirap," he said laughingly and playfully pulled her close by the butt, giving her a feel of his bulge.

"Ay....ay...teka ha, si Junjun nagrereact . Sige na babe, alis ka na, tutoo na."

With one last kiss, he left, smiling happily, not knowing that there was a storm ahead, one that would test their love for each other when they least expected it.