Chapter 9

'Yesterday, I sent word to Alexander to inform him that Queen Kateryn's assassin has been found. This morning he replied to tell us that he's tracking a man who has been searching for Princess Raven across the kingdoms. I have asked Alexander to capture this man and bring him back here where we will decide what to do with him,' Alethea is saying.

I am in the throne room with her and a few of her warriors. It had been a day since the attack on Bronwen's men. Since I killed my mother's assassin. The elves had led me back to their tree, healed my wing and then had let me be for the rest of the day.

'Raven, when Alexander brings him back, I'd like you to come and see the man with me.'

I look up. 'Of course, Alethea,' I reply automatically.

'Good. Now warriors, you are dismissed.' Alethea turns to me. 'Raven, are you alright?'

'Why wouldn't I be?' I ask her.

'Well, you know what happened yesterday.'

'Yes and now my mother's death is avenged. I am fine so leave me alone!' I snap and storm out of the room. I leave the tree and fly out into the forest. No one seemed to believe me when I told them I was fine. Why did they keep thinking I wouldn't be? Of course they thought that because I had killed someone, I was experiencing guilt. Well that wasn't the case for me!

I land in the place where the attack had taken place. Blood stained the grass and a pile of ashes was in the middle of the clearing. The elves had burnt the bodies of Bronwen's men. I walk away, towards the place where I had fought and killed my mother's assassin.

There was no body but I could still see the pool of blood where he had died. Careful not to step in any blood, I make my way to where his sword lay. I pick it up and study it. There are no markings or anything on the hilt or the blade. Good, I need a sword and one without any of Bronwen's markings would be ideal. I wave the sword around a bit to get used to its size and weight before looking around for something to wipe the blood off with. I spot some moss under a tree, it's a little damp but it works. I dry the blade with the hem of my dress and get up to walk away. I hear footsteps and freeze with the sword in my hand.

Alexander enters the clearing, staring at me. 'Raven, what happened here?'

'This is where we found Bronwen's men. I assume Alethea told you about that.'

'Yes but I thought that was over there,' he indicates to the clearing he'd just come through, the one where most of the fighting had taken place.

'It was. This is where I killed my mother's assassin.'

His eyes widen. 'You killed him?'

I nod. 'I did and I don't see why you're so surprised about it. Anyway, didn't you say you were coming back when you found whoever it was you were after?'

'Yes I did. He's over there.' I looked over his shoulder and saw a young man with his wrists tied together and a sack over his head. Something about him looks so familiar...

'He says he's not working with Bronwen. Swears it actually but what else would a man be doing looking for you in several different kingdoms?' Alexander shrugs and walks over to the man. I follow, still trying to figure out who the man is. Then it clicks.

'Alexander take the sack off his head,' I demand.

He looks up at me and frowns. 'Why?'

'Just do it.' And he does.

When the sack is lifted away I see his face. With the chestnut brown hair and the hazel eyes, I know that this man is William.

'Raven?' He asks. 'Raven! Thank goodness you're okay! I started to worry when I couldn't find you anywhere but now that I know you're safe I am glad.'

'Wait, you know him?' Alexander asks.

Ignoring him, I smile at my friend. 'It's good to see you too, Will.'

'Raven, can I speak to you for a moment?'

I look at Alexander. 'Sure. Wait here, Will.' I hear him mutter something like 'I can't really go anywhere' before following Alexander away.

'Who is that man, Raven?' He asks, his voice low so that William cannot hear us.

'William is my friend.'

'Do you trust him?'

'With my life,' I tell him. 'That's far more than I trust you, by the way.' I receive a glare for that snide remark.

'Come on, we should get back to the elves. Untie Will too,' I say.

I walk away, not waiting to see if they follow. I hear a noise of surprise come from William and know he's seen my wings. I just keep walking. He's my friend, he'll get over the shock. I did. Soon we arrive back at the elves' tree. I lead both William and Alexander to the throne room after asking an elf to tell Alethea that we'll meet her there. When we arrive in the throne room, Alethea is not yet there. I stand by the table while we wait, leaning my new sword against it.

'So Raven, what exactly happened when you left Zaraeli? How did you end up here, with him?' William asks, looking at Alexander.

I don't turn to him as I speak, I stare straight ahead at the doors. 'Alexander here somehow got into the castle, most likely by teleporting. Using more teleportation I ended up here, with the elves,' I say.

William's eyes turn on me. Though I don't see him, I feel his gaze burning into my skin. When he speaks his voice is quiet but I can tell he's angry. 'He is the one who killed them?'

I know he's talking about the knights who Alexander killed. But I don't have time to reply as that is the moment Alethea chooses to walk into the room.

'Alexander, I'm glad you have returned. I assume this is the man you were tracking?' She asks, nodding towards William.

I turn around to look at William and Alexander. The former was watching Alexander with hatred in his eyes while Alexander stood there calmly, oblivious to William's rage. 'He is. However I was wrong in thinking he was with Queen Bronwen,' Alexander says.

Alethea frowns. 'Who is he then?'

'His name is William,' Alexander begins but William cuts him off before anymore can be said.

'I can speak for myself!' He snaps, turns to Alethea. 'Your Majesty, my name is William, son of Sir Nicholas of Zaraeli. I am a friend of Raven's.'

Alethea turns to me. 'Is this true?' she asks.

'Yes, William is my friend,' I say.

Alethea nods and turns back to William. 'I apologise. You will be made a guest here until we can send you back to Zaraeli.'

Alexander and Alethea go off into a corner and discuss something. Picking up the sword that no one noticed, I exit the room and head to my room. I know William is following me but do not stop until I reach my room. 'What is it?' I ask without turning around to face him.

'My brother was one of them,' is all he says.

I turn around. 'I do not know what you expect me to say. That I'm sorry? I did nothing, Will.'

'Exactly! You didn't do a damn thing while that man murdered my brother and my friends!'

I open the door to my room and walk in, slamming it behind me. I've lost someone too but of course he doesn't care. It seems as though no one does. I am surrounded by people but I am alone in this world. That makes me even lonelier.

William's back! Is it a good or bad thing? We shall see...

Vote and comment if you enjoyed :)