Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Isabella

The next morning goes smooth compared to yesterday. Carson actually woke me up and he made me a bowl of cereal as well as himself.

Once we are done eating, we gather up his belongings and I snatch my phone from my room and my keys off of the counter and wed start our walk to his school.

"Are you excited about today?"

He nods his head. "I like my teachers and most of the people there are cool. I'm still trying to get used to it."

"Well as long as you like it, that's all that matters," I say as I nod my head understandingly.

We reach his school within five minutes. We say our goodbyes, which are easier than yesterday, and then I go back home.

Once I get home, I start to clean. Whenever I'm not at work, which is rare, I take that day to clean the house because Carson doesn't believe in cleaning. I immediately start with his room. I pick up all of the clothes on his floor and place them in his clothes basket so I can wash them later. I move on to making his bed and then, pick up all the trash he left around.

I let out a huff of breath and look around his room and see that it's clean enough.

I pick up the clothes basket and go to the closet where the washing machine and dryer is. I place his clothes in the washing machine, along with some washing powder, and move on to the kitchen. I wash the few little dishes that are in the sink and wipe down the countertops.

I was about to make my way to the bathroom until I hear somebody knock on the door. I instantly tensed up until I remember that Gabi said she was coming over.

I walk over to the door and open it. Behind it reveals a enthusiastic Gabi. I'm taken by surprise when I feel her scrawny arms wrap around me.

"Hey Bella!" She says as she removes her arms from around my body and struts into my house.

I shake my head and close the door and follow behind Gabi into the living room.

I flop down on the opposite side of her on the couch.

"You're home is cozy. My place feels so professional and uncomfortable."

"Well thank you. You should get your mom to decorate it then. My mom is the one who decorated."

She nods her head as she thinks. "Maybe I'll just do that. Anyway, how is your day going so far?"

"It's fine. I had to take my little brother to school earlier and now I'm just in the middle of cleaning."

"I'm sorry to interrupt," she says sheepishly.

I wave my hand dismissively, "It's fine. I was in the need of a break anyway."

She beams at me and we sit in silence for a few minutes, trying to figure out what to say next.

"So you have a brother?"

I nod my head. "Yeah. His name is Carson. He's eleven. He's a hand full, but I wouldn't trade him for anything in the world."

Her eyes light up. "Can I meet him?"

I look at her with uncertainty in my eyes. I don't want her to meet Carson and then he gets attached and me and her stop communicating. It has happened before and I don't want that to happen again to him.

She can see the uncertainty in my eyes and clears her throat, "Look Bella, I think you're a cool person. I'm pretty sure we have a lot in common besides our passion for books, even though that's enough." We both laugh, "I want us to be friends, hopefully best friends down the road."