Chapter 11

Chapter 11

The following day was awkward, Jane was trying to deal with the overflow of emotions that kissing her had unleashed, and I was trying to cope wether it was worth it or not.

Was this a mistake?

Grace walks into my office.

"Boss? We have a case."

"Oh-oh right."

Grace looks confused.

"Are you okay?"

I just wave her off and calls the team into action. I need to breathe, just let me breathe. Making a quick escape I get to my car only to find that I don't have my keys.

"What the heck?"

I can hear Jane jingling the keys behind me.

"Jane. Give them back. Now."

"No, we need to talk."

"Says the man who's avoided me all day."

"Does that mean you want me to be with you?"

"W-well no but-"

Grace runs over to meet us.

"Boss? We're going to be late. We need to leave."

"Yes boss we're going to be late."

Mimics Jane in a sing-song voice. I think I might kill him. Grace is still waiting and with any luck Rigsby is going to come soon.

I sigh and try to compose myself.

"Well Grace I can't leave when Jane has my keys."

Jane raises an eyebrow like: really this is your plan B?

"Why don't you just go with Jane then?"

He beams and takes the first move; walking towards me, it's weird because I want nothing more then to push him away but I can't. I just can't seem to move.

He encloses my hand with both of his, giving me back my keys. A test, this is a test.

"That's a perfect idea Grace. After all does anyone really want to be alone?"

A flash of recognition passes Grace's face and she smiles before she leaves. Crap. Does that mean she knows?

"...fine."

Jane gives me a triumphant smile and leads me over to his car, holding the door open for me so that I will sit in the front. The drive is awkward and the silence deafening. I feel so bad, like this is my fault. Sure last night was what I had wanted but what if it was a mistake? What if I messed up...everything?

"I'm sorry, I was being selfish last night and-"

"Please don't apologize last night was good. It was nice."

(When they say last night they're talking about the date not...well you know.)

Silence.

Jane laughs a little.

"You know when I saw you come downstairs in that green dress I freaked out a little."

"You did?"

"Yes. I kept trying to convince myself that I picked out the right suit."

"You looked so nervous I was afraid that I should have worn something simple."

"Yeah?"

More silence.

We reach a red light and he looks at me.

"You know that I love you right?"

"Yes."

"And that you mean everything to me?"

"Is this a break up coming on?"

"No no it isn't."

No one's POV

The light turns green and he starts driving again until he reaches an area to pull his car over. He calls up Cho.

"Hey? Yeah there's heavy traffic where Lisbon and I are...yeah...looks like it might take us a while....alright bye."

Jane unbuckles his seat belt and she does the same.

"The issue is that I've always planned that after I killed Red John I would try to be in a relationship with you, I mean, if you still loved me after Red John."

It takes him a while to form words.

"Openly doing this? Me and you? It's too much of a risk. And on the other hand maybe hiding our relationship would be better."

She smirks.

"Like Rigsby and Van Pelt?"

He allows himself to smile but gets serious again.

"Lisbon this isn't something to look over, Red John will hurt you don't you get that?"

She crosses her arms and looks away.

"We've been over this, I can defend myself I don't need you to save me."

Jane runs his hand through his hair.

"Alright, let's say he goes after you. You can't tase him because his cloak is thick and I bet you anything he will wear a bullet proof vest."

He takes a strand of her hair and tucks it behind her ear. Lisbon leans into his hand and closes her eyes, completely at peace.

"He's going to kill you Teresa. And I can't let that happen."

"Then don't let it."

"It's not that easy-"

Lisbon's getting irritated.

"Jane. Stop. We've already kissed in public, and we agreed that there is no going back. If you want to protect me then go for it, other then that I highly doubt anything will happen."

"Why aren't you listening to me!? He is going to kill you!"

"Of course he is! Because I'm the damsel in distress! Clearly I have no fighting skills other then guns and tasers! Oh no the only protection I have is a thief who practically rips my heart out whenever we have 'talks'."

She starts laughing because of the stress of this situation.

"I mean dear lord Jane what am I to you? A scared little girl?"

"You know what? Fine. We'll talk about this later."

He puts his hand on the gear shift into DRIVE when she stops him.

"I want you to answer something for me. And depending on the answer we will either stay in a relationship or drop it all together."

"...fine."

"Do you want me?"

"..."

"Well?"

"Yes."

"Then we can make this work."

•••••

I made it longer for you people! : D