"Mom, I'm sorry. I don't want to hurt you or dad or August, but you have to look at it from my perspective—I'm paralyzed! Do you have any idea what that feels like? Do you?" She buries her head between her knees and cups her hands over her ears, but I keep on. "I can't spend the rest of my life living like this. I'm sorry, but I just can't! You don't know what it's like to wake up each morning only to beg for the day to be over as soon as it begins. Every. Single. Day. What kind of life is that? Tell me!"

A hush settles over the room. Mother still has her head buried in her lap, refusing to accept anything that I've said. Father rubs her back in circular motions, not having the heart to look at me.

I feel so alone. Nobody knows just how hard it is to live like this. I just want relief. I just want to feel the brush of grass beneath my bare feet and the wind ripping through my hair as I run. I would give anything to feel that once again. Just once more.

Footsteps approach from just beyond the doorway. "Whoa! That's a big bed." Maverick is standing at the base of my bed with Calix standing just behind him. "Can I jump on it?"

I dry my eyes. "Um. No." His inquiry is certainly unusual, even for him.

"I wanna jump on your bed."

"I said no."

"Please, can I jump on your bed?"

This time Calix interjects. "Mate, give it a rest. She just woke up."

Maverick hangs his head in disappointment. "We're not allowed to jump on our beds at White Guard."

Calix moves Teddy around, getting a feel for his surroundings. "How are you feeling, Milady? Are you good as new?"

"No, I'm certainly not good as new." I sarcastically imitate his English accent with that last part. The last thing I want to do is talk about it—I'm still having trouble processing everything as it is—so I shut down any potential questions that can arise.

"I see. I'm terribly sorry," he says.

Father deliberately clears his throat to draw attention to the fact that he and mother are also in the room. Calix snaps his head at the sound of a new voice, obviously assuming I was the only person in the room up until now. I sit up straight in my bed and introduce them. "Maverick, Calix, these are my parents; though, you've already met my mom."

Calix waves at the wall, no doubt under the assumption he's waving at mother and father. "Pleasure to meet you. I'm the cheery blind chap who lives at the rehabilitation center your daughter goes to." He then slams his palm on Maverick's shoulder. "And this is my not-so black friend Maverick."

Judging by father's expression, he's clearly confused by what Calix meant. I'll fill him in later.

"Calix. Yes, I do believe McKenzie's mentioned you." Father turns his head to Maverick. "And Maverick, I don't think I've heard of you."

Maverick leans in close to father's face. "Do you believe in aliens?" Father quickly leans back, and I can tell he's trying not to stare at the hole where Maverick's ear used to be. Maverick doesn't give him the chance to answer. "I've seen things you wouldn't believe, man!"

Calix draws him back by the elbow. "Ho-ho! Best be careful. Got a bit of an imagination, that one."

A nurse walks into the room next holding August's hand. I hadn't realized he wasn't already in the room. I guess mother and father assumed it would be best for him not to be in the room when I woke up. Considering our argument earlier, that was probably a wise decision.

August studies Maverick's head for a moment. "What's wrong with your ear?"

Calix tilts his head back and moans. "Oh, here we go with another blimey story."