Chapter 31

(Note from the author: This is my favorite chapter in the entire book. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.)

Eighteen-years-old. Today. It's almost hard to fathom; life has certainly flown by. It seems like yesterday I was holding on to mother's hand with a white-knuckle grip, begging for her to not send me on the kindergarten bus. At this point in my life, I would have thought I'd be in college, clinched a part-time job, maybe even have my own apartment, but life clearly had other plans for me.

Hollywood Ending is tonight. A heavy sigh escapes me as I think about how wonderful it would have been to attend. I really wanted to go to that dance. But who am I kidding? Even if Xander were still here, I couldn't go anyway—not with these wheels.

I lift my torso away from my bed and drag my lifeless legs toward the edge where my wheelchair is parked. Sliding onto it, I begin my daily routine of emptying my ostomy and attaching a fresh one. I used to struggle with this task, but I've completed it so many times, I can practically function on autopilot. Desiree was right; things have gotten easier. But I still can't walk. I'm still paralyzed.

A grand breakfast awaits me in the kitchen. Mother is leaning over a table topped with an impressive spread from waffles crowned with whipped cream, to omelets, along with a bowl of fresh cut fruit in the center.

"Happy birthday, Kenzie!" She looks like she's been up for hours, adorned in a tasteful blue-green eyeliner and flesh tone lipstick. I haven't even looked in the mirror yet; my curls are probably a tangled mess, and I can still taste the pungent odor of morning breath on my unbrushed teeth. I'm sure I look as if I qualify for living under a bridge.

"What time is it?" My voice comes out groggy.

"A quarter past eleven."

I'm surprised to hear her say that. I guess I needed the extra sleep.

Footsteps thump down the stairs as father enters the room. He presses his lips to the top of my head. "Happy birthday, McKenzie. You feel any older?"

"Yeah, dad. I totally feel older. A whole year older. Pretty sure I spotted my first gray hair in the mirror last night. And before I know it, I'll be collecting social security." He chuckles at my sarcasm as he takes a seat at the table.

Mother places a pitcher of orange juice next to the fruit bowl. "I know you're keen on healthy eating, hon, but I figured you could make an exception for one day. It is your birthday after all."

"Actually, I've kind of foregone those eating habits."

She looks up in surprise. "Oh? What changed your mind?"

Thoughts of Calix and his adorable efforts to arrange a candlelight dinner burst across my mind. I hide a smile, shrugging in response. "Guess it was time for a change."

After breakfast is over, we spend most of the afternoon watching movies: the first is about this young guy who's giving these "gifts", as they were called, of challenging tasks in hopes of helping him better appreciate the life he had been giving. It was a tearjerker, or at least it had mother turning into a fountain by the end. I'm not ashamed to admit I shed a few tears as well. The second movie was about this girl who lost her arm from a shark attack while surfing in Hawaii. I guess it was inspired by a true story. In a strange way, it kind of reminded me of my life.

After the second movie had ended, mother tells me that Calix and his family along with Maverick will be over soon and that I needed to try and make myself more presentable. I faked an innocent expression and asked her if looking like a homeless person would pass as a presentable appearance. She shook her head and laughed.