4 | Roster

***** TOBINS POV *****

It was the last day of camp training and the roster would finally be announced. I think I had a pretty good chance of making it. It's been a little over two weeks since the 'Talex' incident and I keep bringing it up in front of Kelley. Clearly, every time I mention it, she seems annoyed and walks away immediately. I've also been a lot more touchy with Alex in front of Kelley. The jealousy thing might be working... If that's what's bothering Kelley.

Alex says it doesn't matter, but I know how much it can hurt to keep your feelings locked away. Even if Kelley doesn't feel the same, it might encourage Alex to spit it out and get it over with.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-

"Here!" Ali yelled from behind me. I used my ankle to discretely pass it to her as Rapinoe tried to get me. She instantly went towards Ali but Ali sent it long towards Alex.

I followed close behind. Alex passed to Amy as she evaded Becky. Amy took a shot and  got it past Ashlyn.

The whistle blew and everyone went to get a drink.

I sat on the grass and took off my shoes and socks.

"Hey, wanna get something to eat after scrimmage? Kelley's coming." Christen smiled towards me as she wiped some sweat off her forehead.

"Hm... Yeah, is it ok if Alex comes?" I mention, getting out my phone to text her. She was probably already heading to the showers.

Christen shrugged and looked down, kind of upset. Did everyone have a problem with Alex?

"What's up with Kelley anyway?" I asked as I took a long sip of my water. This sun was honestly starting to melt my skin off.

Christen shrugged, "I've tried talking to her but she ignores me. I bet it has something to do with Ann."

Ann. She hasn't come up to practice camp like she usually does when we start the season up again.

"Possibly." I state and get up with the help of Christen's hand. We walked into the bus together. She sat beside me subconsciously.

"So you and Kelley go way back yeah?" I mention. Everyone is on the bus now, kelley sitting with Alex as I give Alex a grin. It's not game day, so our pre-rituals don't apply right now. No bus buddy is needed.

"Oh yeah. Way back. It's nice to have at least one familiar face.. And I'm super pumped to be part of the team... Well I hope I make it after being with Tyreso." She explains.

I smile. She played in Europe... I've only played in Europe with France, I wonder how the Swedish teams are. I heard German teams were hella great too.

We talked back and forth until it was time to exit. A couple of fans were outside our hotel, it would be our last night there so I guess they wanted to say good luck.

We all stopped and took some pictures and signed some autographs. Honestly I felt bad that I looked like a mess in all the selfies. Sweaty, hair a mess, and bags under my eyes.

Christen waited for me by the door as I finished my last selfie.

"Thank guys" I wave and head into the hotel with Christen.

We each go to our hotel rooms, change and go out to iHop.

I make sure to lean towards Alex as we walk. Kelley eyes us and keeps walking to keep us our of her sight. Christen walks beside me.

"Could you take it down a notch?" Christen yells towards kelley is a good yards ahead of us.

"Just let her be." Alex laughed and wraps an arm around mine.

Christen giggles, "guess kel is a bit jealous, is that it?"

Christen's giggle is cute- I mean she has a nice smile- I mean she's nice enough to laugh...

"Mayybbbee..." Alex smirked at me and I just wink back.

"You guys are cruel." Christen says before jogging to catch up with Kelley.

"Tobin?" Alex chimes beside me.
"Yeah?"
"Is Skyler ok with this?"

I look over at her. She lets go of my arm.
"Of what?"
"You know... Us pretending we're a little more than friends? She knows it's just to get Kelley's attention right? Because I know if I was your girlfriend and another girl was getting all touchy and being all over the social media with you... I'd be super pissed."

I pause. Shit... I never even thought about it that way. Maybe that's why she hasn't even answered my calls. It's a good thing we get a week of break to go home before heading off to Germany. I can sort stuff out with her then.

"I... She hasn't answered my calls so I wouldn't know.." I bit my lip.

"Dammit... I'm sorry Tobin. I never even thought about that..." Alex curses and keeps walking, this time keeping her distance. I guess we put more in risk than we had thought. It's not like she's the love of my life... But I don't really want a break up right now. I really do love her though. We've almost dated a year... It's all kept a secret but still... I made it obvious on facebook I was in a relationship.

We arrive. Kelley in a grumpy mood still. We eat our dinner and head back in time for the roster announcement. We all are pretty pleased with the line up.

Pia calls us into the conference room in the hotel.

The roster is:
GOALKEEPERS (2): Hope Solo, Ashlyn Harris
DEFENDERS (7): Rachel Buehler, Stephanie Cox, Amy LePeilbet, Heather Mitts, Christie Rampone, Becky Sauerbrunn, Ali Krieger
MIDFIELDERS (10): Yael Averbuch, Shannon Boxx, Tobin Heath, Meghan Klingenberg, Lori Lindsey, Carli Lloyd, Kelley O'Hara, Heather O'Reilly, Megan Rapinoe, Christen Press
FORWARDS (5): Lauren Cheney, Sydney Leroux, Alex Morgan, Amy Rodriguez, Abby Wambach

(A/N: Yes I know this is ISNT the actual roster for the 2011 wwc but sshhhh this is fiction)

We all were pleased. Only two people didn't make the cut but they were ok with it. Next World Cup.

I packed all my belongings from the hotel room and headed towards the lobby. Christen was sitting alone so I walked up to her. She didn't really know anybody except Kelley and she was nowhere in site.

"Hey." I smiled and sat beside her in a lobby couch.

"Hi." She smiled back and played with her thumbs.

"Aren't you excited to be part of the roster?" I say. She nods politely.

"Nervous?" I try again to make her speak but she just shrugs. Maybe I've made her uncomfortable? Or perhaps she's too shocked to speak.

"Well you'll do great." I say.

"Thanks." She says barely above a whisper. She takes a deep breath in and out. I smile. It's her first big tournament.

Kelley and Alex soon come from the elevator laughing. We all sit together as we wait for the bus to arrive and take us to the airport.
From there, we'd all part ways to our homes to pack and have family time for a week.