Chapter Three: Mixing two lives.

Start from the beginning

"The house should get lively." She smirked slightly.

"It's not a joke, Sera. He's crazy. He's filled with anger and he won't stop until he gets what he wants."

Sera dropped her arm from around my neck and shook her head, "I've told you already. You have nothing to worry about. I will not let anything happen to you." She tried to reassure me. "Okay? Elisha is a handful but I doubt he will try to harm you in any way."

I grimaced at the imagery she had placed in my head. It didn't make me feel any better that the adults around me judged Elisha as harmless because he's physically weaker. He doesn't need to be strong to get to me. He plays mind games. It's his specialty.

"You say kid. I say evil genius. Let's agree to disagree."

"You're overreacting."

I stopped and turned to face her. "I'm not overreacting." I said glaring at her. "Was I overreacting when I was 'tripped' onto oncoming traffic while walking next to Eli? What about when he nearly pushed me out an open window. Oh, don't forget when he 'accidentally' cut me with a knife."

Sera stayed quiet and looked away. She knew I had a point. Most people just didn't want to admit that two brothers from the same lineage could really hate each other. Originally, Eli is supposed to be my second in command. Brothers are supposed to have one another's back in case something goes wrong. I told father that if Eli was to be my second, then I would not be the next head of the family. I can't trust Eli when I know that he would stab me in the back, given the chance.

"Sorry." She said.

I sighed softly and shook my head, "it's fine." I kept walking down the hall. I didn't want to talk about Eli anymore. I would deal with that problem when winter break came. I was on my way to meet Max.

I met Max living in the streets when he was five. I was only seven. He looked like a living skeleton in a cardboard box. No parents. No guardian. He was practically knocking at death's door. I pitied him. I wanted to be the one to help him stand on his own two feet. I wanted to be an older brother figure to him.

Back then, I was with my father and a few guards. One look at Max and I begged father to take him home with us. Of course, he was reluctant. He said we had no need for 'raccoons'. After much whining and begging, he agreed. We took him home that night and called the family doctor. A few months later, he looked like a normal boy. As the years went on Max swore to always stay by my side. Father approved of him being my second in command and Eli was furious. Max and Eli don't get along either for obvious reasons.

"What's the plan for today?" Sera questioned walking beside me.

"Max said it was about a couple of idiots who needed to be taught a lesson." I shrugged slightly and stuck my hands into my sweater. It was breezy outside but I couldn't afford catching a cold.

"Another fight? What about classes?"

I rolled my eyes, "Please, Sera. When am I ever on time for that? The teacher can wait on me like she always does. No big deal."

"Didn't she lecture you last-"

"Sera. Enough." I silenced her.

She held her tongue obediently but I knew she was itching to bitch at me. Being the next boss had it's perks. For now, I was going to catch up with Max and help him get rid of some pesky bugs.