Chapter Nine

Christina's P.O.V.

There were a few photographs being taken from random people when we first arrived, at the entrance of the Circle Center Mall, but as word spread of Michael's presence, hoards of people rushed around Michael, our five bodyguards and I. The flashing lights from the dozens of cameras aren't as blinding now that we're inside a store, and I'm not even really sure which store we're in to be honest, but the staff there upon recognizing Michael, closed down the store allowing us to move around freely and shop. Shouts of 'Michael I love you,' ring in my ears as I follow Michael aimlessly around the store.

I'm stunned because of what Michael last said to me. The sound of his voice saying 'Girlfriends don't hold my hand,' repeats itself over and over in my head. What in the world was that about? He confuses me, and more than confused, I feel just plain crushed. He received me so nicely when I arrived yesterday in Indiana from Santa Maria. He went to my hotel room to greet me personally, which I wasn't expecting at all considering the last time we had spoken we had argued. In my hotel room we had great conversation; I learned so much about him. At dinner last night in his hotel room, I noticed apart from him being impossibly handsome, he was being exceptionally charming. I really liked the guy I was with, and naively and stupidly I thought he liked me, too. Today, the very next day he is completely different, as if the people and the cameras changed him and turned him into someone else.

"Christina. Christina," Michael calls my name. I snap myself out of my deep thoughts and look up at him. He looks annoyed. "Christina what's wrong with you?" he murmurs so only I can hear him. "I was asking you if you like this," he asks holding in his hands a sparkling baby blue diamond bracelet. Or so I think it's diamond, I have no clue.

"Oh, yes, yes. It's very beautiful," is all I could think of replying, realizing for the first time that we're in a jewelry store. I regain awareness of my surroundings again as if I were waking up from a deep sleep. Next to me is Michael, admiring and pointing at the jewels in the glass cases, and laughing along with the store clerk. The bodyguards spread themselves out in the store; one next to Michael, two by the door and the other two roaming around the store. The muffled sounds of the crowd on the outside of the store is the dominant sound on the inside, that and that of Michael's laughter with the clerk's. Now there are security guards from the mall guarding the other side of the door. How in the world are we going to be getting out of here?

Unable to share in Michael's apparent excitement at looking at jewelry, but being conscious of the fact I am here to play a part, I wander away from Michael's side and browse everything from jeweled watches, to brooches, to bracelets and earrings. Everything is so extraordinary, so delicate and so gorgeous. I never had come in to a jewelry store before. Most of the time I would always pass right by them, not even giving them a second glance, on my way to another store. But sometimes I would stop and look at the beautiful things in the windows, admiring them. It was then when I would lean forward and squint my eyes looking closely at the details of each piece, then my eyes would catch a glimpse of one of the price tags. I'd freak out, and keep myself moving. I knew I couldn't afford those things then, and truthfully I didn't even covet them. My eyes light up as I come to the realization that with five million dollars in my bank account, I can afford to pick out and buy anything in this store that my heart desires. But, I have to burst my own bubble of excitement. I can't blow money on jewelry. I'll probably need that money to last me a long time. I shake that idea out of my head.

"Christina, hey, come here, would you?" Michael calls waving his hand at me from across the store. He holds his hand out as I approach him, and in it he holds an exquisite diamond ring in the shape of a butterfly, with yellow diamond wings and a white diamond body. Michael hands the ring to me. "Try it on. Let me see how it looks on you."