Chapter Four

Christina's P.O.V.

"Can I just ask you one question?" I ask after taking a long pause, gathering my thoughts.

"Yes," Michael answers.

"Why?"

He looks down in search of an answer. After taking a long pause he finally breaks the silence. "Maybe one day I might explain that to you, but right now that is just too complicated and too irrelevant to discuss right now," he says matter of factly.

"How is it irrelevant, Michael? Everyone who gets married gets married for a reason. Some people do it for love, others for kids, others for money or status. But there is always a reason. And since I am the one you're asking to marry you, don't you think I should know why you're doing it?"

"I'm telling you, there is a reason, but it's not something I want to get into right now," Michael retorts.

"When business deals are made it isn't custom to ask the person offering a deal 'why', Miss," Geragos cut in, flashing a look at his client.

I sink in my chair. I guess I hit a nerve with him there. "Okay, I get it. But here's another question for you. Why me?"

"That is another detail that is unimportant," he responds quickly. "For now, all you need to know that you are the business partner that I have selected to work with."

All I can do is sit there. "I'm speechless, Mr. Jackson, er, Michael. I don't know what to say."

"Say yes, Christina. I know we'll make a great team." I look at Geragos, whose head is down, which I interpret to mean he isn't very confident in this business; if it is me or the mere idea of Michael's marriage, I have no idea. My eyes fall on Michael, his powerful gaze meets mine and makes me jump. I can tell by just looking at him that he is dead serious about this. I get the impression that Michael is the type of person who, once their mind is made up nothing will change it. Although I do admire him for taking charge of this meeting like he is. I would have imagined him to have sat back and let his lawyer do all the talking.

"Geez, Michael, I have to think about it. I mean, according to this contract, the deal is for five years. That's five years of my life we're talking about here," I plead.

"Yes, but it would be like anyone who ever worked for anyone or for any company for that same amount of time. It's the same thing."

"No way is it the same thing. This would mean me committing myself completely to the job. I would live this lie to everyone I know, and there's no way a new love interest or a new friend of Michael Jackson's wife would go unnoticed," I argue. I actually hear Geragos snicker beside me, which gets me to smile. But the smile quickly fades as I hear Michael's response.

"Yes, Christina, it's part of the job. If you accept, you will miss five years of your life, as will I. But I have already thought of that. That is why the compensation I am offering is what it is. You will be well paid for your services."

My services. I shudder at those words. Michael's indifference saddens me. I don't think he realizes what he is asking of me, and even more importantly, how he is asking for it.

"Michael is offering one million dollars for each of the five years of the contract," Geragos adds.

"You have to decide whether or not the five million dollars is worth the five years of your life," Michael announces.

I just feel so uneasy about this whole situation. Whoever is part of this grand scheme of Michael's one way or another will go down in history for a long time. If I accept, I will be written down in the list of Michael's wives. I have to wonder how in the world I was chosen for this secret arrangement. I've only been working at the house for two weeks, for goodness sakes. But is the five million worth it? Boy, just thinking about what I can do with that money gives me the chills. Five million is a lot of money, but then again, after the five years is up, what then? I will always be known as Michael Jackson's wife, or ex wife. Would five million be enough to live off of for the rest of my life? Who would give me a job if I needed to work?