Chapter Seven

Christina's P.O.V.

I pull in past the Neverland gate today a bit nervous about last night. Michael seemed so angry, but I don't understand his anger. What's wrong with two adults having a few drinks once in awhile? Is there something he has against alcohol, or God forbid, I hope this isn't some kind of control trip he's playing on me. Is no drinking in the contract? It might be, the damn thing is so long and so meticulously written it's possible I could have missed it.

I wonder how Rachel is doing today. She was a bit more tipsy that I was. I smile. I wonder how it went with her with Michael when he took her home last night, if he was as angry with her as he seemed to be with me. I wince at the thought and shake my head. If Rachel ever wondered if there is anything going on with Michael and I, she sure got her answer last night. I doubt Michael regularly visits his employees homes late at night like that. So much for his plan of nobody knowing for sure anything is going on between us, but I sure am glad that I wasn't the one to spill anything. Absolutely nothing came from my mouth. But I honestly think in the long run, if people are supposed to believe that we have a real relationship, it's good that people see things. It's only natural that they do.

As I go through my usual routine, I am glad that I haven't had the misfortune of running in to Michael. I don't want to see him. I feel this horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach at the thought. It's the same nervous feeling a school kid gets who's parents have been called because of their bad behavior, and they know that sooner or later they have to go home and face the music. I decide not to go where I think he might be, and I don't even listen to my iPOD so he can't hear me and find me. I know that if I put my music on I won't be able to help singing and I will be discovered.

I haven't run into Rachel either, which is a bit strange. Maybe she is hung over. I guess I should call her later to see how she's doing.

I walk out of one of the spare bedrooms that I just finished dusting and into the hallway. When I walk past the next room which is the children's room, I see out of the corner of my eye Michael dash towards the door. He must have been in there and seen me go past. Darn my luck. I walk a little faster to try to duck into the next bedroom to escape, but before I reach the door, I hear my name.

"Christina," Michael calls out after me, I turn around grabbing the bedroom door, hugging it tightly with my right arm wanting so badly to hide behind it. I wait for him to catch up to me.

"Yes," I respond embarrased, looking down to my white high top sneakers and twirling the hair from my ponytail around my fingers. He walks past me, into the room, and I turn around facing him. Now it's me, facing the music."I'm sorry about last night," I apologize, feeling the need to apologize, but I am not quite sure myself what I am apologizing for. "I didn't know you were going to come over, and..."

"You should have never done that, Christina," Michael interrupts, obviously uninterested in my excuses. I stand there motionless. I don't know how to respond. "That is not appropriate behavior for my future wife," Michael explains.

I hold my hands out in confusion. "But Michael, what is the big deal? It was just a few drinks. I'm sure your other wives had had a few drinks before they married you."

Oops. Bad move. At the mention of his ex wives his eyes grow big in anger. "That is nobodys buisness but mine."

I feel like a young child being reprimanded and I don't like it one bit. "It wasn't as horrible as you think. Just a few drinks with a friend. In private. We weren't out on the town partying in public. Besides we didn't drink that much and it was early. That doesn't make me irresponsible," I say, defending myself. He's being so unfair.

"It sure does make you irresponsible. You don't react the same as you would sober."

"But nothing happened, Michael," I plead. "If it bothers you that much, I won't do it again." Michael nods his head in satisfaction. "I'm here anyway, aren't I?"